Home » Community (page 6)

Community

Winds & Power Outages Close Schools

Image of PG&E logo.

O’NEALS–After a night of high winds around the area, power outages are being reported and some schools are going to be closed today. The Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) outage center states crews are in the area and power is expected to be restored by 11:30AM. We will update this article when more information is available. A message went out ...

Read More »

Yosemite Adult School – Changing Lives One Student at a Time

OAKHURST—When you walk into the building that serves as headquarters for Yosemite Adult School (YAS), you first feel a sort of organized chaos, immediately followed by a blast of enthusiasm that can bowl you over. You just know that the educators here are on a mission.  What Is Yosemite Adult School?   Yosemite Adult School, located in Oakhurst and Coarsegold, helps ...

Read More »

Pet of the Week – Charlie Bear

AHWAHNEE—Hi, there! I’m Charlie Bear, and I want your lap! I might be a little shy when we first meet, but bear with me. I will warm up and be your best friend in no time. As to my vital statistics, I’m 28 months old, and I weigh 11.25 pounds. Just the right size, don’t you think? I really would ...

Read More »

2024 Golden Chain Season Brings Back “Fiddler on the Roof”

OAKHURST—The Golden Chain Theatre (GCT) kicks off its 2024 season (its 57th!) on Friday, March 22, 2024, with “Fiddler on the Roof.” Their most-loved production, last performed eight years ago, GCT calls it: “. . . The heart-warming story of the dairyman Tevye, his family and the village of Anatevka in 1905 Russia where faith and love inspire a generation.” ...

Read More »

One-Way Traffic Control Next Week

Image of Caltrans workers.

MARIPOSA COUNTY – The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) will conduct the following one-way traffic control next week on State Route-49 (SR-49) and SR-140 for maintenance and construction operations. Work is scheduled as follows: STATE ROUTE 49 • One-way traffic control from Shilling Road to Crown Lead Road for sign work beginning Tuesday, March 12. Work will take place through ...

Read More »

Now Showing at Yosemite Cinema March 8-March 14

Image of the Yosemite Cinema logo.

Kung Fu Panda 4 is here! Showtimes for Yosemite Cinema Friday, March 8 – Thursday, March 14 Dune: Part Two PG-13 2 hr 46 min · Action Starring Timothée Chalamet, Zendaya, Rebecca Ferguson, Josh Brolin, Austin Butler, Florence Pugh, Dave Bautista, Christopher Walken, Léa Seydoux, Stellan Skarsgård Directed By Denis Villeneuve Synopsis Follow the mythic journey of Paul Atreides as ...

Read More »

Yosemite High Earns Second Place in Mock Trial

MADERA COUNTY–On Tuesday, February 27, Madera South High’s prosecution and Yosemite High’s defense teams competed in the championship round of the 2024 Honorable Edward P. Moffat Madera County Mock Trial. The Mock Trial was held on February 7, 13, 15, and 27.  Madera South High School won for the first time in the school’s history. The team will attend the ...

Read More »

Help Dogs and Cats! Make New Friends (Canine, Feline and Human)

AHWAHNEE—Find out how you can make a difference in an animal’s life. Attend the volunteer information and recruitment meeting at Eastern Madera County SPCA Animal Care and Adoption Center (EMCSPCA) on Saturday, March 16, 2024, beginning at 10 am. Our volunteers are dedicated to  working tirelessly to make the pets’ stay at the shelter as healthy and stress-free as possible! ...

Read More »

Unofficial Election Results Pending Final Counts

MADERA COUNTY–The voters of Madera County have submitted their ballots, and although all the votes have NOT been counted, the following are the totals as of 10:25pm PST, March 5, 2024. The next update to results will occur on Friday, March 8th by 5:00pm. The Madera County Elections Division is reporting that total voter turnout so far is 21.61%. This ...

Read More »

Celebration of Life for Roger Gaston Mercier, Sr.

Roger Gaston Mercier, Sr. 1944 – February 6, 2024 Surrounded by his family, Roger Gaston Mercier Sr passed away peacefully on February 6, 2024, at his daughter and son-in-law’s home in La Canada, California after a short battle with a rare aggressive form of cancer. Roger was a son, husband, papa, teacher, coach, grandfather, and friend who will always be ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online