Home » Community (page 5)

Community

A Grand Night for the Arts Supports Vision Academy of the Arts

OAKHURST—In 2019 Vision Academy of the Arts (VAA) held its final Grand Night for the Arts prior to the Covid (and world) shutdown. When it became apparent that the world was not going to reopen any time soon, the organization went dormant. The Beginning Vision Academy of the Arts, breathed into life in 1994 by local legend and teacher Jackie ...

Read More »

Art Banner Project Aims to Beautify Local Communities

What makes us fall in love with a place? In truth, it could be many factors: Friendly people Vital businesses Mouthwatering restaurants Inviting shops Local entertainment Here in the mountain area of Madera County, we have them all plus more. One of the most intriguing features of a community often consists of its art on display. We are touched by ...

Read More »

Learn and Burn Workshop Scheduled

Image of a burn pile.

MARIPOSA – Spring is a great time for pile burning! Pile burning is a safe, effective, and legal way to reduce your wildfire risk when equipped with the tools and knowledge to do so. Yosemite Gateway Prescribed Burn Cooperative (YGPBC) and University of California Cooperative Extension are organizing a Learn & Burn workshop. This will be about residential pile burning ...

Read More »

Yosemite Renaissance 39 Art Exhibit Opens

Image of the logo for Yosemite renaissance

OAKHURST—Yosemite Renaissance 39 showcases works inspired by Yosemite National Park and the California Sierra Nevada region, by artists from across the country. For over 150 years, artists have played an important role in the establishment of our state and national parks. They encourage people to visit iconic natural sites, and to protect our parks, wild lands and natural resources. Yosemite ...

Read More »

EMCSPCA Pet of the Week – Max

AHWAHNEE—Hi, I’m Max! Don’t you love my big, beautiful eyes? They would gaze lovingly into yours if you’d take me into your home and heart. I like laps, I like to cuddle, and I’m sure I’ll adore you. I am a mixed-breed male, and I’m in middle age at 7 years and four months. I weigh 17.6 handsome pounds. I ...

Read More »

Now Showing at Yosemite Cinema March 15-March 21

Image of the Yosemite Cinema logo.

Arthur the King and Cabrini start this week! Showtimes for Yosemite Cinema Friday, March 15 – Thursday, March 21 Arthur the King (PG-13) Fri 15 – Mon 18 | 12:30 pm, 3:35 pm, 6:40 pm Tues 19 – Thurs 21 | 3:30 pm, 6:30 pm Play Trailer ➤ Starring Mark Wahlberg, Nathalie Emmanuel, Simu Liu, Ali Suliman, Michael Landes, Paul ...

Read More »

Noma Resort: Hidden Oasis on Yosemite’s Doorstep – Part 1

NORTH FORK—Most people who have visited the Sierra Vista Scenic Byway enjoy its peace, unlike the national park to the north.  Likely they consider it an island of tranquility in the midst of a busy world. Noma Resort strives to be part of that serenity. A Partnership of Brothers That’s how the three Leyva brothers (of six total) who partner ...

Read More »

North Fork Transfer Station Closing for Repairs

NORTH FORK–The Madera County Public Works Department has contracted with HBC Enterprises to complete much needed repairs to the failing tipping floor at the North Fork Transfer Station. In order to complete this repair work efficiently and safely, the facility will need to be closed. The closures will be for the duration of the construction. The anticipated closure period is from ...

Read More »

Celebration of Life for Jessica Astorga

Jessica Astorga August 31, 1987 – 2023 Jessica Donikowski Astorga was born to Marie and Rodolfo Astorga on August 31st, 1987 in Duarte, California. She grew up in Oakhurst, California as the eldest sister to Lyndsey and Marissa. Upon Rudy’s passing in 1990, Jessica and her sisters were provided for by her mom Marie and countless other strong resilient women. Upon ...

Read More »

Winds & Power Outages Close Schools

Image of PG&E logo.

O’NEALS–After a night of high winds around the area, power outages are being reported and some schools are going to be closed today. The Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) outage center states crews are in the area and power is expected to be restored by 11:30AM. We will update this article when more information is available. A message went out ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online