Home » Community (page 4)

Community

One-Way Traffic Control This Week

Image of Caltrans workers.

MARIPOSA COUNTY – The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) will conduct the following one-way traffic control this week on State Route-49 (SR-49) and SR-140 for maintenance and construction operations. Work will take place as follows: STATE ROUTE 49 • One-way traffic control at Joe Howard Road for utility work beginning Saturday, March 23, to Sunday, March 24, 2024. The traffic ...

Read More »

EMC SPCA Pet of the Week – Sissy

AHWAHNEE—Hi, I’m Sissy, and I need your help. You’ve seen me before, with my friend Sonny. Well, he’s been adopted, but I’m still here. They take good care of me at the wonderful EMC SPCA Animal Care and Adoption Center, but I need a lap! Specifically, I need YOUR lap. Please won’t you come meet me? I know you’ll fall ...

Read More »

Now Showing at Yosemite Cinema March 22-March 28

Image of the Yosemite Cinema logo.

Ghostbusters and Poor Things Start This Week! Showtimes for Yosemite Cinema Friday, March 2 – Thursday, March 28 Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (PG) Play Trailer ➤ Fri 22 – Mon 25 | 12:35 pm, 3:25 pm, 6:35 pm Tues 26 – Thurs 28 | 3:20 pm, 6:15 pm Starring Paul Rudd, Carrie Coon, Finn Wolfhard, Mckenna Grace, Kumail Nanjiani, Patton Oswalt, ...

Read More »

Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad Opens for the Season

FISH CAMP—Since its beginnings in 1965, Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad (YMSPRR) has been a staple of our mountain community—and the world. Folks come from all over the world during the season for a chance to ride one of the few remaining narrow-gauge railroads in existence. Local residents enjoy it just as much. Snow melts and spring blooms mark the ...

Read More »

Noma Resort: Hidden Oasis on Yosemite’s Doorstep – Part 2

NORTH FORK—This article is a continuation of last week’s “Noma Resort: Hidden Oasis on Yosemite’s Doorstep.”   Noma Resort sits near the entrance to the Sierra Vista Scenic Byway, at the historic apple orchard near Clearwater Fire Station. It’s one of the loveliest areas of the Byway, especially since the devastating forest fires of the last several years. The Leyva Brothers, ...

Read More »

EMC SPCA Holds Low Cost Spay/Neuter Clinic for Cats

NEWS FLASH! We’ve just learned that all spaces are filled with a wait list for the upcoming spay/neuter clinic. Watch for an announcement of the next one. AHWAHNEE—As a service to the mountain communities, Eastern Madera County SPCA (EMC SPCA) is holding a low-cost spay/neuter clinic for cats only at its Animal Care and Adoption Center on Tuesday, April 9. ...

Read More »

EMC SPCA Holds Adoption Event This Saturday

AHWAHNEE—Make room in your heart—and on your couch—for a new friend. Eastern Madera County SPCA (EMCSPCA) holds an adoption event this Saturday, March 23, at its Animal Care and Adoption Center. All of the dogs and cats at the Center are spayed or neutered, health checked, vaccinated and ready to go. All they need is YOU! Come meet your new ...

Read More »

A Grand Night for the Arts Supports Vision Academy of the Arts

OAKHURST—In 2019 Vision Academy of the Arts (VAA) held its final Grand Night for the Arts prior to the Covid (and world) shutdown. When it became apparent that the world was not going to reopen any time soon, the organization went dormant. The Beginning Vision Academy of the Arts, breathed into life in 1994 by local legend and teacher Jackie ...

Read More »

Art Banner Project Aims to Beautify Local Communities

What makes us fall in love with a place? In truth, it could be many factors: Friendly people Vital businesses Mouthwatering restaurants Inviting shops Local entertainment Here in the mountain area of Madera County, we have them all plus more. One of the most intriguing features of a community often consists of its art on display. We are touched by ...

Read More »

Learn and Burn Workshop Scheduled

Image of a burn pile.

MARIPOSA – Spring is a great time for pile burning! Pile burning is a safe, effective, and legal way to reduce your wildfire risk when equipped with the tools and knowledge to do so. Yosemite Gateway Prescribed Burn Cooperative (YGPBC) and University of California Cooperative Extension are organizing a Learn & Burn workshop. This will be about residential pile burning ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online