Home » Community (page 8)

Community

Sierra National Forest Closes Minarets Road

NORTH FORK— Sierra National Forest (SNF) officials have announced the closure of a segment of Minarets Road (4S81) at Mile Post 28 as of Thursday, February 22. That segment of the road is currently unsafe. Because of the heavy rainfall deep fissures are threatening the road’s integrity. This closure will allow SNF road crews to put in place a temporary ...

Read More »

One-Way Traffic Control Next Week

Image of Caltrans workers.

MARIPOSA COUNTY – The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) will conduct the following one-way traffic control next week on State Route-49 (SR-49) and SR-140 for maintenance and construction operations. Work is scheduled as follows: STATE ROUTE 49 • One-way traffic control from Shilling Road to Crown Lead Road for sign work beginning Monday, February 26, through Thursday, February 29, from ...

Read More »

Homeowner Assistance Available for Defensible Space

MADERA COUNTY–The Eastern Madera County Fire Safe Council (EMCFSC) is pleased to announce that they are now accepting applications for Defensible Space Assistance, chipping, and hazard tree removal. EMCFSC has resources available to assist low-income, tribal, elderly, or otherwise disadvantaged residents. Residents identified as vulnerable in Eastern Madera County (EMC) with establishing defensible space in compliance with regional code ordinances. ...

Read More »

Ahwahnee Resident Publishes First Book

AHWAHNEE—Ahwahnee resident Michael Decker has just published his first novel entitled A Fitting Epitaph. That alone is reason for applause. Even more, he did it at 82 years of age. Michael first wrote A Fitting Epitaph in the 1970’s during the time when he worked as a journeyman typographer while raising his family in the San Francisco Bay Area. He ...

Read More »

Rooted—A Vision Becomes Reality

COARSEGOLD—There’s a new kid coming to town in Coarsegold Historic Village. Owner Rose Morgan has scheduled the grand opening of Rooted The Farmers Market Collective for Friday, March 1, 2024. This fulfills a dream she says she’s had for many years. She’s always wished for a local collective of farmers and crafters who provide traditionally-created foods and products in a ...

Read More »

Flood Watches and Winter Weather Continue

MOUNTAIN COMMUNITIES–The National Weather Service Hanford Office is predicting our area will continue to see winter weather through midweek. This includes a flood watch, excessive rainfall, thunderstorms and snow. An atmospheric river will pass through Central California today into tonight. Extreme winter storm impacts are anticipated in the Sierra Nevada above 6,000 feet  due to snow load and snow amounts ...

Read More »

EMC SPCA Pet of the Week-Pebbles

AHWAHNEE—Hi, I’m Pebbles, and I’m really cute. Don’t you think so, too? I’d be your best friend forever if you supply me with lots and lots of toys that have squeakers, ’cause I love to hear myself make lots of noise. I’m just a young pup, in the prime of my life, at about 28 months old and 50 pounds. ...

Read More »

One-Way Traffic Control Next Week

Image of Caltrans workers.

MARIPOSA COUNTY – The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) will conduct the following one-way traffic control next week on State Route-49 (SR-49) and SR-140 for maintenance and construction operations. Work is scheduled as follows: STATE ROUTE 49 • One-way traffic control at Mt. Bullion Cutoff Road for utility work beginning Wednesday, February 21, through Friday, February 23, 2024, from 10:00 ...

Read More »

Holiday Weekend Weather Expected to Pack a Punch

MOUNTAIN COMMUNITIES—The National Weather Service Hanford Office is predicting that our area can expect two storm systems over the holiday weekend. They will continue into next week.  The first of two systems will impact Central California on  Saturday, with periods of light rain below 6,000 feet. Light snow will fall above 6,000 feet. The first system will be the smaller ...

Read More »

Madera County’s Mock Trial Students Ready for Court

MADERA COUNTY–Tobie Clark is on trial for murder during this year’s Honorable Edward P. Moffat Madera County Mock Trial on February 7, 13, 15, and 27. The Mock Trial is a simulation of a court case where high school students act as attorneys, witnesses, clerks and bailiffs. This year students will try the fictional case People vs. Clark. Also, Mock ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online