Home » Community (page 432)

Community

Tioga Road Opens and I am There!

When Yosemite National Park announced that Tioga Road (continuation of Highway 120 through the park) was to open on Thursday, June 29, at 8 am, you know I had to be there. We were at the spot on Tioga Road where the gate had been closed for the winter by 0741 and it was already opened! There were several signs ...

Read More »

Yosemite High Student Joins Visitors Center As Summer Intern

OAKHURST – The Visit Yosemite Madera County Visitors Center (VYMC) is pleased to announce the addition of Mikey King as a summer intern, effective June 19 through July 27. A resident of Oakhurst, Mikey joins the VYMC as a student from Yosemite High School and a member of the Boys and Girls Club of Oakhurst. Mikey is going back into ...

Read More »

Emadco Reverses Plans For Rate Increase, Says Rates Will Decrease

MOUNTAIN AREA — On the heels of a recent announcement that rates would soon increase, the waste disposal service company for Madera County, Emadco Disposal Inc., has announced that customers can instead look forward to a decrease in rates, at least for now. In an article posted on June 16, Emadco advised customers to expect an increase of 6.92 percent ...

Read More »

Claudia Box Named Loggers Jamboree Grand Marshal

NORTH FORK — Longtime resident Claudia Box has been chosen as the 58th annual Mid-Sierra Loggers Jamboree Grand Marshal. Claudia founded Box Feed in 1980 with her late husband Bern Box. Twenty seven years later, Box Feed is the go-to place for feed and ranch supplies in the mountain area. With many years under her belt as a North Fork ...

Read More »

Mystery Solved: Lady Who Saved Rommel Revealed

Editor’s note: On Friday, June 23, Coarsegold resident Frank Ignagni found himself beholden to a stranger who rescued his family dog from running loose on Highway 41. Early that morning, before anyone in the Ignagni home knew the dog had escaped, Rommel was returned to a groggy but grateful Frank. Touched by the woman’s kindness, Frank’s perspective shifted to others ...

Read More »

Hey, Lady Who Saved My Runaway Dog From Highway 41

I did not get your number because you called my home phone, which has no caller ID! If you see this article, please contact me through my email below. You are entitled to a better “thank you,” and a Starbucks card for an arbitrary amount of complimentary coffee and scones! Let me explain further. This morning, Friday, June 23, some ...

Read More »

Fireworks Are Illegal In The Mountain Area

MARIPOSA – Did you know that possession of fireworks in our area can mean hefty fines and even jail time? The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (Cal Fire) would like to remind Eastern Madera and Mariposa County residents of the very real fire danger and the consequences for the use of illegal fireworks. All fireworks, including “Safe and ...

Read More »

Tax Season’s Over But Phone Scammers Have New Twist

WASHINGTON – The Internal Revenue Service is warning people to beware of a new scam linked to the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS), where fraudsters call to demand an immediate tax payment through a prepaid debit card. This scam is being reported across the country, so taxpayers should be alert to the details. In the latest twist, the scammer ...

Read More »

A Bit Of Planning Helps Avoid An Ugly Detour

SACRAMENTO — The call of the open road may be one of summer’s great attractions. But preparation can make all the difference between a relaxing summer getaway and roadside misadventure. Before drivers head off on a road trip, the California Highway Patrol (CHP) would like everyone to remember some crucial advice for a safe trip. “Prevention and planning may take ...

Read More »

Be Inspired At The Central California Women’s Conference

FRESNO – Tickets are now on sale for a day of inspiration, growth and knowledge planned for women across the Valley at the 30th Annual Central California Women’s Conference (CCWC). CCWC is the largest women’s event in the region and will be from 7:15 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 19, at the Fresno Convention & Entertainment Center. The ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online