Home » Community (page 269)

Community

Celebration of Life for Stephen Charles Stein

Picture of Stephen Charles Stein

Stephen Charles Stein was born on October 29, 1938, and passed away on January 24, 2020. “Steve” was a husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather. Steve was born in National City, California, and graduated from Sweetwater High School. After high school he joined the California Division of Forestry (CDF) and spent the next 35 years with the agency, working in both ...

Read More »

Celebration of Life for Robert Dituri

Picture of Robert Dituri

Robert Dituri was born April 1, 1935, in Fresno, to Joe and Jenny Dituri. He passed away on January 27, 2020, at the age of 83 at the V.A. hospital in Fresno. He is preceded in death by both parents, brother David, and stepson Tom. He grew up around Reedley and attended Great Western Grade School and Fowler High. He ...

Read More »

‘Fire Resilient Madera’ Progress Updated at Oakhurst Workshop

By Leonard Andrenacci OAKHURST — On Friday afternoon (Feb. 7) at workshop in Oakhurst, a progress report was issued on an ambitious project called “Fire Resilient Madera.” The statewide, $67-million “Fire Resilient” project covers 13 counties — from San Diego to Siskiyou — and involves multiple area agencies joining forces to combat future Wildland fires through a host of preventive ...

Read More »

Celebration of Life for Cyrus Lee Burroughs

Picture of Cyrus Lee Burroughs

Cyrus Lee Burroughs, age 46, passed away January 20, 2020. He was born on April 22, 1973, in Fresno. His parents were Dell Stanley and Theresa “Clarice” Burroughs. Cyrus attended school in Coarsegold and Oakhurst, graduating from Yosemite High School. Cyrus loved baseball and started by playing on a Little League team in Friant, coached by his grandfather Lester Burroughs. ...

Read More »

North Fork Auditions for HGTV’s ‘Hometown Makeover’

By Sarah Rah NORTH FORK — “We love North Fork!” echoed across Downtown North Fork on February 3. The town is auditioning for a spot on HGTV’s Hometown Makeover show, competing against hundreds of other small towns across America. Recently, Rhonda Salisbury, CEO of Visit Yosemite/Madera County Visitors Bureau, took the first step to apply for the audition. According to ...

Read More »

Attention Employers: CalWorks Expands Subsidized New-Hire Program

MADERA — The Madera County Department of Social Services is currently recruiting public and private agencies in Madera County to participate in the CalWorks Employment Program (ESE). The Madera County Department of Social Services has launched a new subsidized employment program which reimburses employers for the wages of newly-hired employees from our program at varying levels during the first six ...

Read More »

Pet of the Week: Gladys the Dog

Hi, I’ll bet you have never met anyone as cute as me! It could be my heritage. Humans might say McNabb-Border Collie-Queensland! For this 11-week old girl, that is a mouth-full! I already know a crate is my safe place, I love other dogs and cats, and I adore toys! I have been told I am really smart and I ...

Read More »

History Mystery #83 – Do You Recognize This House?

Picture of an unknown house.

By Karen Morris (with thanks to Don Grove) This building has been home to many families since its service as a way station. Our records begin with the McGinity family. They lived here beginning in 1904. We are not sure how long they stayed. The Hanningan Family moved in about 1942 and stayed until 1947. Hazel Kennedy and her family ...

Read More »

‘Winter Wonderland’ Nets $30K for Hospital Foundation

MARIPOSA – The John C. Fremont Hospital Foundation raised over $30,000 on Jan. 11 at its Winter Wonderland fundraising dinner. Proceeds from the successful event, according to Foundation officials, will help support scholarships for local students interested in pursuing an education in health care, purchase new hospital equipment and fund community education and other needs that arise for the current ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online