Home » Community (page 268)

Community

SNO Seeking to Grow its Network of Local Contributors

MOUNTAIN AREA — Sierra News Online is looking to grow our network of local correspondents. Are you a good storyteller who can also write clear, concise reports about community events and area news makers? Or maybe you shoot a good photo and would like to take your photography to the photojournalism level? If you live in the mountain community and ...

Read More »

‘Monster Revue’ Bringing Frankenstein, Dracula to YHS Theater

By Maile Peterson and Jarrod Mills OAKHURST — Next week, the “monsters” are coming to town. On Thursday and Friday (Jan. 30-31), the Yosemite High School Theater Arts program — featuring students from the Theater Arts 2 class — will proudly present the “Monster Revue.” The show will take place in the YHS theater starting at 7 p.m.. This thrilling ...

Read More »

Pet of the Week: Tuffy

I am Tuffy and I am sure you are looking for an adorable kitty like me. I am kind of a teenager now and I would like to find my forever human. Hello, are you my new human? Needless to say, I am sweet, a lot of fun, busy, and adorable……(Oh, I guess I already said that!). So if you ...

Read More »

Tribe Seeking $1.2M Grant to Expand Rancheria Fire Station

Picture of the North Fork Rancheria emblem/sign

NORTH FORK — The North Fork Rancheria of Mono Indians is applying for a $1.2 million federal grant to construct a 4,050-square-foot emergency services building adjacent to North Fork Fire Station #11. The new facility, which could be operational by 2022, would provide living barracks for the fire station — and dedicated space for personnel from the Madera County Sheriff’s ...

Read More »

California Restaurant Month Spotlight: Love Cafe

Madera County is home to waterfalls, giant trees and culinary royalty. In honor of California Restaurant Month, happening throughout January, SNO presents a special series spotlighting each participating restaurant. OAKHURST — Unique in the Yosemite region is the perfect little café off Highway 41 in Oakhurst. The Love Café is precisely why California is the king of the culinary world. ...

Read More »

California Restaurant Month Spotlight: Madera’s Vineyard

Madera County is home to waterfalls, giant trees and culinary royalty. In honor of California Restaurant Month, happening throughout January, SNO presents a special series spotlighting each participating restaurant. MADERA — If you are like many mountain residents, you like to explore the region, but often don’t like to leave your animals overnight. Many locals yearn for a change of ...

Read More »

2020 Academic Decathletes Ready for Competition

MADERA — The 38th annual Madera County Academic Decathlon competition will be held on Saturday, Feb. 1 — with the interview and essay competitions held later this week prior to competition day. Eight of the 10 Decathlon events, including the speech competition and Super Quiz, will be held on Saturday, Feb. 1 at Madera South High School. This year’s topic ...

Read More »

Area Home Sales, Median Prices Hold Steady in 2019

MOUNTAIN AREA — 2019 proved to be a solid year for home sales in eastern Madera County, according Realtor Ed Bailey of Ed Bailey Realty. Bailey compiled year-end data from California Regional MLS reports released in 2019. Here’s his rundown of mountain area home sale activity and median sales prices: Ahwahnee — 27 homes sold, median price $343,000, average time ...

Read More »

Minarets’ Southgate Film Festival Right Around Corner

By Ryan Abner, student journalist for Minarets Press O’NEALS — It’s film season at Minarets High School. Known for its outstanding film making, tech and media programs, which have garnered praise at Slickrock and other California media festivals, it’s no surprise that the high school now has a film festival of its own. The Southgate Film Festival has been a ...

Read More »

Mariposa Storytelling Festival Slated for March

MARIPOSA — The 32nd annual Mariposa Storytelling Festival kicks off Friday, March 13 with Mariposa Story Slam!, a local amateur storytelling competition with this year’s theme echoing its Friday the 13th date: “Stranger Than Fiction.” Story Slam! performances take place in the hall of the Mariposa United Methodist Church, with community members telling a true story from their own experience ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online