On the Jan. 15, 1939, Southern Pacific Railroad Schedule there is a stop between Knowles and Knowles Junction off the Raymond train called Hillside, not Hills Pride, like the bar in Knowles, Hillside.
In several references, including a 1934 Madera County map, Hillside is listed in an article about Alexander McGilvray, who ran the McGilvray Quarry until 1928 when the two quarries merged.
There is a mention of Hillside and the fact that there was a post office there.
In the railroad table, it is listed closer to Knowles than the Knowles/ Raymond Junction, and in other references it is closer to the junction. (Click to enlarge table).
Our Mystery is — where exactly was Hillside? Does anyone know about the post office there and why was it established?
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
The Raymond Museum is located at 31956 Road 608 in the middle of downtown Raymond, and is open Sundays from noon to 4 p.m. Call (559) 689-1886 for an appointment.
Follow-up on History Mystery #55
We received no information about the Francis Junction. If anyone has information regarding the reason for this name, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
North Fork History Group