Home » Community (page 355)

Community

History Mystery #67 – Mystery Solved!

It’s not often that one of the History Mysteries gets solved so completely, but when it does happen we think it should be highlighted. Thanks to diligent research of North Fork History Group member Kathy Ellis, and preservation of historic information in the past by Margie (Jeppson) Hensley and Doris Scovel, every person in History Mystery #59 was identified. The ...

Read More »

John Douglas Owen

John Douglas Owen passed peacefully to the other side on July 8, 2018, at the home of his daughter Jo. Doug was born on Nov. 9, 1931, in Los Angeles to Erle and Florence Owen. He grew up in Los Angeles and joined the Navy in 1951 to serve his country in the Korean War. He met his beloved wife ...

Read More »

Over The Garden Fence: Wildfires & Fall Gardens

By Brian David —  We know that wildfire smoke affects people’s health. Particles of burned plants and trees land on dust particles and are breathed into the lungs. However, this year’s Ferguson Fire not only affected you, it affected your plants. This summer’s Sierra foothill smoke has limited gardening, in part by imposing health restrictions on gardeners. In areas that ...

Read More »

This is Us: Shirley and Jim Savarino

Jim:  In the Marines I was a technician and then went to a small ultrasound company that was bought by Phillips, and that’s where I met Shirley — she was interning there. Although I was working as a technician, in my heart I’d always been a physicist. That interest was noticed by the physicists there and they pulled me into their ...

Read More »

Get Caught Up: Free Fishing Days 2018

CALIFORNIA — The California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) reminds would-be anglers and others that this coming Saturday is another day of free fishing! If you’re new to the sport of fishing, and not sure if you’ll enjoy it, a great opportunity awaits: CDFW offers two Free Fishing Days each year, and on these days, you can fish without ...

Read More »

Yosemite Ranger Jack Hoeflich Receives Prestigious Award

YOSEMITE – Yosemite National Park is proud to announce that Park Ranger Jack Hoeflich is the recipient of the 2017 Barry Hance Memorial Award. A ceremony in his honor was attended by approximately 450 National Park Service employees, volunteers, park partners and retirees, including several past Barry Hance Award recipients. The Barry Hance Memorial Award is a peer-nominated award that ...

Read More »

Local Legend Moves On – Benjamin “Buddy” Muller

The Sierra community celebrates the life of a true mountain man – Benjamin “Buddy” Muller – 1935 to 2018. This pioneering story begins on a wooded creek in Coarsegold, Calif., where Buddy and his three brothers grew up living above the Golden Nugget Bar that their parents owned. Childhood was full of fishing, hunting, and all the rugged adventures expected ...

Read More »

Coarsegold Peddlers Market Returns Labor Day Weekend

COARSEGOLD — Stroll through acres of time and comb through history at the 34th Annual Coarsegold Peddlers Market, hosted by the Coarsegold Historic Village over Labor Day weekend. It’s a three-day event, from Saturday, Sept. 1 through Monday, Sept. 3, with antiques and collectibles just waiting to be discovered. During the peddlers fair, the entire Village fills with vendors from ...

Read More »

Broken Cell Phone Or Tablet? Get It Fixed Locally

OAKHURST – When you crack the screen on your cell phone or tablet, or drop it in the water, don’t assume it’s a lost cause and you’ll have to buy a new one. You can get it fixed right here in Oakhurst at EZ Screen or at their new location in Fresno. Adam and Olivia Barthold have been proudly serving ...

Read More »

Cedar Valley Volunteer Fire Station Deep Pit BBQ

image of the cedar valley fire station

OAKHURST – Plans are already underway for the annual Cedar Valley Fire Department Deep-Pit BBQ, and organizers are hoping for another great turnout to support our firefighting community. The big event is on Saturday, Sept. 1, from 4:30 – 7:30 p.m. and everyone is invited. This is an important fundraiser for Cedar Valley’s Station 18. Their local area covers north to ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online