Home » Community (page 356)

Community

YHS Girls And Boys Water Polo Pick Up Key Wins

By YHS Correspondent —  OAKHURST — Yosemite High School girls water polo got an exciting win at Golden Valley High School in Merced on Aug. 24. After a strong first half by the Lady Badgers, Golden Valley clawed its way back into the game, trailing only 8-6 at the end of the third period. As the fourth period began Yosemite’s ...

Read More »

Disaster Assistance For Businesses Affected By Ferguson Fire

SACRAMENTO – The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is offering low-interest federal disaster loans for working capital to small businesses economically impacted by the Ferguson Fire that occurred July 13 – Aug. 19. SBA acted under its own authority to declare a disaster following a request received from Gov. Edmund G. Brown, Jr.’s designated representative, Mark S. Ghilarducci, director of ...

Read More »

Poker Run Benefits Caring Vets, Motorcycles And Cars Welcome

Submitted by Paul Hall – COARSEGOLD – The Coarsegold-based Sierra Shadow Casters Motorcycle Club (SSC) is holding its annual Sierra Moonshine Poker Run on Saturday, Sept. 8, to benefit the Caring Veterans of America, Inc. (CVA) Mountain folks are familiar with the beautiful new monument that stands majestically on the corner of Highway 41 and Road 415 in Coarsegold. On ...

Read More »

Be Part Of The Great Sierra River Cleanup

OAKHURST — Mark your calendar for the Oakhurst River Parkway Cleanup, part of the Great Sierra River Cleanup — an annual event hosted by the Oakhurst River Parkway. Willing volunteers are invited to meet on Saturday, Sept. 15, at 9 a.m. in the Oakhurst Branch Library parking lot. Snacks, drinks, tools and bags are provided. Cleanup will be along the ...

Read More »

Rossen Rocks Madera Fair For Spring Valley 4H

MADERA — Labor Day weekend was a big one for anyone entered in the county fairs, including — and perhaps especially — for Spring Valley 4H member Ashley Rossen. Ashley, 13, is an 8th grade student at Oak Creek Intermediate School in Oakhurst, and on Saturday, Sept. 1 at the Madera County Fair, Ashley took multiple top awards in poultry. ...

Read More »

HOW Dinner Honors Jessica Woodington

OAKHURST — A special fundraising dinner hosted by the nonprofit group Helping One Woman (HOW) will be held in honor of Jessica Woodington on Wednesday, Sept. 19 at El Cid Mexican Cuisine in Oakhurst, starting at 6 p.m. “Residing in Oakhurst with her fiance and five rescue dogs, Jessica Woodington has made tons of friends in this tight-knit community,” say ...

Read More »

History Mystery #67 – Mystery Solved!

It’s not often that one of the History Mysteries gets solved so completely, but when it does happen we think it should be highlighted. Thanks to diligent research of North Fork History Group member Kathy Ellis, and preservation of historic information in the past by Margie (Jeppson) Hensley and Doris Scovel, every person in History Mystery #59 was identified. The ...

Read More »

John Douglas Owen

John Douglas Owen passed peacefully to the other side on July 8, 2018, at the home of his daughter Jo. Doug was born on Nov. 9, 1931, in Los Angeles to Erle and Florence Owen. He grew up in Los Angeles and joined the Navy in 1951 to serve his country in the Korean War. He met his beloved wife ...

Read More »

Over The Garden Fence: Wildfires & Fall Gardens

By Brian David —  We know that wildfire smoke affects people’s health. Particles of burned plants and trees land on dust particles and are breathed into the lungs. However, this year’s Ferguson Fire not only affected you, it affected your plants. This summer’s Sierra foothill smoke has limited gardening, in part by imposing health restrictions on gardeners. In areas that ...

Read More »

This is Us: Shirley and Jim Savarino

Jim:  In the Marines I was a technician and then went to a small ultrasound company that was bought by Phillips, and that’s where I met Shirley — she was interning there. Although I was working as a technician, in my heart I’d always been a physicist. That interest was noticed by the physicists there and they pulled me into their ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online