Home » Community (page 328)

Community

Challengers Little League Team Wants Better Access To Field

OAKHURST — There’s a ball field, and there’s a team. Problem is, the team can’t navigate the field. Despite its popularity, our busy local Little League field has inadequate access for about 20 softball players with special needs, say parents — and organizers agree. From walkers to wheelchairs, it’s extremely difficult to get around the facility. Severe disrepair and a lack ...

Read More »

ACT Dog Of The Week: Quirky Junie

The Animal Compassion Team (ACT) foster and adoption Dog of the Week for SNO is a special little girl who can use some love. Junie is an adorable Chihuahua who’s about two years old. “Hi, I’m Junie! Aren’t I the cutest little thing? My foster mom says I’m as cute as a button — and I know it. I’m great ...

Read More »

Minarets Senior Aaron Hall Wins Lions Club Speakers Contest

NORTH FORK – For the second year in a row, Aaron Hall took top honors at the North Fork Lions Club Student Speakers Contest, held on Wednesday, Feb. 13, at the Scout Building. Five speakers participated in the Club level of the 82nd annual competition. This year’s topic – “Freedom of the Press: What does it mean?” Each student is ...

Read More »

Sierra Oakhurst Kiwanis Lucky Bingo Night

OAKHURST — You’re in luck! Tickets are now available for Sierra Oakhurst Kiwanis annual bingo party. Doors open at the Oakhurst Community Center on Saturday, Mar. 16 at 5 p.m. and bingo starts at 6:30 p.m. $25 includes dinner and bingo cards, with delicious fare provided by the Kiwanis that’s set to include bangers, cole slaw, baked beans, chips, and ...

Read More »

In Memory Of Sam “Slammin’ Sammy K” Hutchison

“Slammin’ Sammy K” “Crane Dude, Jr.” Beloved father, brother, uncle, cousin, and cherished friend Sam K. Hutchison passed away on Feb. 9, 2019 at home in Oakhurst, surrounded by loved ones, at the age of 62. Sam was born to Virginia and William Hutchison at Grossmont Hospital in La Mesa, California, on Oct. 25, 1956. Always fun-loving and curious, Sam ...

Read More »

YHS Girls Basketball Earns #2 Seed In Division II Playoffs

OAKHURST — The YHS Girls Basketball team went undefeated in North Sequoia League play for the second straight year, winning their third straight league championship and finishing the regular season 24-4 overall. Ranked #4 in the entire Central Section by the Fresno Bee (behind only Clovis West, Clovis North and San Joaquin Memorial), they enter the postseason as the #2 seed ...

Read More »

Guynn And Micallef Win League And Division 5 Championships

Written by Anne Guynn — OAKHURST — 152 lb. sophomore Nicolas Guynn and 170 lb. sophomore Justin Micallef won gold medals in both the North Sequoia League Championship and the Central Section Division 5 Championship Wrestling Tournaments. The Yosemite High School Wrestling Team was happy to see the community’s support at the Jan.30 North Sequoia League Wrestling Championship Tournament, hosted by ...

Read More »

Celebration Of Life For Dorothy “Dottie” Gandolfo

Beloved sister, aunt, friend and trailblazer Dorothy Julia “Dottie” Gandolfo passed away at home in her sleep on Sunday, Jan. 27 in Oakhurst. She was 80 years old. Born in Boston, Massachusetts on June 25, 1938, Dottie was the daughter of Emily Duffin Healey, a homemaker, and John Patrick Healey, who drove a truck for the local gas company. Dottie ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online