Written by Anne Guynn —
OAKHURST — 152 lb. sophomore Nicolas Guynn and 170 lb. sophomore Justin Micallef won gold medals in both the North Sequoia League Championship and the Central Section Division 5 Championship Wrestling Tournaments.
The Yosemite High School Wrestling Team was happy to see the community’s support at the Jan.30 North Sequoia League Wrestling Championship Tournament, hosted by Yosemite.
“Having our parents, new district superintendent, Glen Billington, other sports’ coaches, and the student body there with us meant a lot,” says Assistant Coach Kyle Lincoln.
“YHS was privileged to host the first-ever girls NSL Tournament along with the boys tourney,” notes Assistant Coach Jeff Guynn. “The sport is growing.”
Badger wrestler Kaelo “MO” Mohulatsi was one of the girls competing in the first-time event.
“We are a team of thirteen finishers, not quitters,” expresses Head Coach Kent Lincoln. “We have made incredible progress!”
- 120 lb. Junior Shane McCurry earned 3rd place.
- 138 lb. Senior Diego Combs and 220 lb. Senior Troy Fite both placed second in their respective weight classes at League.
- For the second season in two years, Sophomores Guynn and Micallef each claimed the NSL League Champion titles.
At the Central Section Division 5 Championship Tournament at East Bakersfield High School on Friday and Saturday, Feb. 8-9, Yosemite ranked 6th out of 21 participating schools.
Four Badgers enjoyed earned success.
- Combs battled his way to 4th place.
- 182 lb. Senior Oguzhan Jumayer fought to earn 2nd place.
- Guynn and Micallef both finished in 1st place.
All four will travel to the Grand Masters Tournament in Lemoore on Thursday, Feb. 14, in which all five divisions compete. Grand Masters is the final tournament that qualifies the top ten wrestlers in each weight class for the State tournament.