MARIPOSA – During this hectic time of year, it’s important to remember that fire knows no holiday.
While the danger of wildland fire may have been mitigated by recent rains, a house fire can ruin your holidays, so please be cautious with your decorations, fireplace, wood stove, Menorah and Christmas tree.
Cal Fire Madera-Mariposa-Merced Unit would like to remind the public to practice fire safety.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended or on any type of cloth, doily, or wood; it is safer to place the candle on a metal surface or glass container.
- Always keep candles away from children.
- Never place your candles near holiday decorations, pets, bedding or curtains.
- Never use a candle near a tree or as a decoration on a tree.
- Always extinguish any flame before you go to sleep at night or leave your home.
- Do not dispose of fireplace and wood stove ashes until they are dead out. Heat can stay in ashes or coals for 3-7 days after your fire is out.
- Never place ashes or coals into paper bags or plastic containers.
- Always use a metal container to transport the ashes or coals to a safe place.
- Never place ashes or coals into a dumpster or trash can for disposal. They can and do start fires.
- Make sure your tree is fresh, re-cut the trunk at least one inch above the old cut and keep the fresh cut end of the tree trunk in water. Check the water level in the Christmas tree stand daily.
- Never place your tree near a heat source
- Never use old or frayed electrical cords.
- Promptly remove your tree after the holiday and dispose of properly.
For more safety tips, stop by your nearest Cal Fire, Madera, Mariposa or Merced County Fire Station or visit www.fire.ca.gov.
Cal Fire wishes you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!