YOSEMITE – Fire crews have nearly contained the Meadow Fire in Yosemite National Park, allowing more areas to be re-opened. However, there is still active fire, fire caused hazards and fire crews in the area.
In order to maintain the safety of park visitors and allow fire management operations to continue unimpeded, the Superintendent of Yosemite National Park is designating a portion of Yosemite Wilderness as closed. The area will be closed until further notice.
Features and trails within the closed area include, but are not limited to:
- The John Muir Trail between the Clouds Rest Junction and Sunrise High Sierra Camp.
- The Clouds Rest bypass Trail
These trails and areas are open:
- The Sunrise Trail to Clouds Rest through to the Half Dome Trail junction including the summit of Clouds Rest for day use only (no camping or overnight use).
- The trail along the Merced River between Little Yosemite Valley and Echo Valley for day use only (no camping or overnight use).
- Little Yosemite Valley (LYV) Campground.
- The Mist, Panorama and Half Dome Trails and all climbing routes on Half Dome.
- Sunrise and Merced Lake backpackers camps.
- Sunrise Lakes
Notice of closure will be posted and area will be monitored to ensure compliance. Your cooperation in complying with this temporary restriction is greatly appreciated. Please see the map below for more information.
This order supersedes the previous Meadow Fire Safety Closure dated Sept. 19, 2014. The designation will remain in place until rescinded.