YOSEMITE — A meeting is scheduled for public input as officials in Yosemite National Park announce the opening of public scoping for the Big Oak Flat Visitor Contact Station and Emergency Services Facilities Project. This project will replace an aging contact station and restroom facility located near the Big Oak Flat Entrance to Yosemite National Park. The park is soliciting public comments through June 4, 2018.
The purpose of this project is to improve the overall visitor experience, improve restroom facilities to reduce wait times, improve parking facilities, improve visitor safety and wayfinding signage, meet accessibility standards, and correct long-standing building maintenance issues.
The Big Oak Flat Visitor Contact Station and Emergency Services Facilities Project will address the following issues:
• Enhance visitor services by improving wayfinding and orientation
• Update and improve a restroom facility to meet current and future demands
• Improve congestion and reduce vehicular-pedestrian conflicts
• Upgrade outdated utilities systems and improve accessibility deficiencies
• Provide an emergency services facility with adequate parking for ambulances and ranger vehicles
• Address visitor safety issues related to parking, lighting, and fire protection
Yosemite National Park is hosting a public scoping meeting on May 18, 2018, to provide an opportunity to learn more about the planning efforts. This meeting will take place from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm at the Rush Creek Lodge at Yosemite (34001 Highway 120, Groveland, CA 95321) in the Private Dining Room, with a presentation from the NPS at 3:30 pm. Anyone interested in learning more about this project is encouraged to join us.
Public participation is an important element of the planning process and we welcome your ideas, concerns, issues, suggestions, and potential topics for consideration as we develop the environmental assessment.
Please share your written comments no later than June 4, 2018, via one of the following methods:
• Online through the Planning, Environment, and Public Comment (PEPC) website (preferred method) at http://parkplanning.nps.gov/BigOakFlatEntrance
• Mail comments (post marked no later than June 4, 2018) to:
Yosemite National Park
Attn: Big Oak Flat Entrance EA
P.O. Box 577
Yosemite, CA 95389
Information about this project, and other Yosemite projects, is available at: http://www.nps.gov/yose/getinvolved/planning.htm