MOUNTAIN AREA — They are fast, tough, smart, sweet, sneaky, showy, social and definitely loud — they are Visit Yosemite | Madera County’s official Welcoming Committee, and they’re about to take Madera County, Bass Lake and Yosemite National Park by storm with a campaign starting Monday, April 1.
“The Welcoming Committee campaign was designed to showcase attractions in Madera County, including Bass Lake, and Yosemite National Park,” says Visit Yosemite | Madera County CEO, Rhonda Salisbury.
“It’s a fun activity — collecting animal trading cards from some of our most popular attractions along the Fossils to Falls Road Trip — and you can even get a chance to win a Yosemite Adventure Vacation.”
There are seven cards to collect: Mr. Mead, the Saber-Toothed Cat; Honey, the Honeybee; Sierra, the Black Bear; BLake, the Bald Eagle; Ricky, the Raccoon; Galen, the Great Horned Owl and Sandy, the Squirrel.
Each card provides a fun background about the animal and its attraction. The cards can be picked up at each animal’s home location.
- MR. MEAD is a Saber-Toothed Cat from the Fossil Discovery Center who roamed the area 780,000 years ago. Visit the Fossil Discovery Center in Chowchilla to pick up your Mr. Mead trading card.
- HONEY is a Honeybee that pollinates the fertile lands of Madera County and the Madera Wine Trail. You can pick up Honey’s trading card at these wineries along the Madera Wine Trail: Fasi Estate Winery, Quady Winery, Idle Hour Winery, and Westbrook Wine Farm Vineyard and Winery.
- SIERRA is a local Black Bear that shows us all there is to see and do in Oakhurst, the largest gateway town near Yosemite. Stop by the Visitor Center in Oakhurst to pick up your Sierra trading card.
- BLake is Bass Lake’s very own Bald Eagle who hangs out at the lake each year fishing, watching tourists and getting his photo taken. You can pick up BLake trading cards at The Pines Resort, The Forks Resort and Miller’s Landing Resort on Bass Lake.
- RICKY is the Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad‘s resident bandit Raccoon. Visit the railroad to pick up your Ricky trading card.
- GALEN is the Great Horned Owl that is the protector of the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias. You can pick up your Galen trading card at Mariposa Grove’s welcome plaza gift store.
- SANDY the Squirrel hangs out at Tunnel View and all around Madera County gathering nuts and chatting with visitors. You can pick up your SANDY trading card at the Yosemite Valley Visitor Center bookstore.
“There is so much more to see and do in our destination, along with Yosemite National Park,” says Salisbury.
“Having the support of our south gate entrance partners is vital to the campaign’s success, so we are very appreciative of their support and enthusiasm. We can’t wait to see the excitement grow as visitors start collecting their trading cards!”
“We are really excited about the animated video. It was built and designed by Relic Agency’s creative team out of Salt Lake City that specializes in animated campaigns and the travel industry. We think it really showcases our destination in a fun way. It’s for all ages but kids will definitely love it!”
The Welcoming Committee’s Yosemite Adventure Contest campaign kicks off on Monday, Apr. 1 and runs until Friday, Dec. 20, 2019. Three drawings will be held during the year: one in July, one in September, and one in December, 2019.
How it works
Starting April 1st, 2019, visit as many of the Welcoming Committee’s locations and collect as little as two of the seven animal trading cards to enter to win a Yosemite Adventure Package. The more locations you visit, the more chance you have to win and the more fun you’ll have!
YOSEMITE ADVENTURE VACATION – Package Includes:
* 2-night stay in the southern gateway to Yosemite (just 20 minutes to Yosemite)
(we will choose the hotel, cabin, or Bed & Breakfast Inn that best fits your needs)
* $100 Visa Card for dining, souvenirs, or whatever you’d like to use it for!
*AND Your choice of one of these Adventures:
All Day Yosemite Tour for Two
Guided Hiking Tour for Two
4-hour Patio Boat Rental on Bass Lake (for the whole family)
Train Ride for Two Adults and 2 Children on the Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad
Win one of three Vacation Packages: Drawing dates are: July 1, 2019, September 30, 2019 and December 20, 2019