Home » Community (page 538)

Community

Mariposa Town Hall Meeting On Transportation

MARIPOSA COUNTY – Residents of Mariposa County are invited to attend a Town Hall Meeting at the Mariposa County Government Center – Board of Supervisors Chambers, 5100 Bullion Street, on Wednesday, Aug. 19, from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., followed by an open house. The County of Mariposa is kicking off a comprehensive transportation planning study focused on the Historic Town ...

Read More »

Trying To Eat Well? Watch Out For Food Bullies

By Virginia Eaton I hate being manipulated. The only other thing that gets my blood pressure up faster is being bullied, and the current state of food marketing and labeling employs both tactics with a vicious force that has destroyed our health and endangered the health of our children, grandchildren and beyond. Do I sound angry? Good, because the more ...

Read More »

Virginia Eaton: A Curvaceous Career Path

By Virginia Eaton A friend once said to me that men tend to have a linear career path while women, for various reasons, have a more winding, tumbling, curvaceous career path. I have held on to that observation over the years as I have woven together an eclectic knowledge and skill set in the fitness and wellness industry that got ...

Read More »

Meet State Legislators Berryhill And Bigelow In The Foothills

COUNTY – Here’s a chance to meet your state legislators in a one-on-one, at three different locations in a single day this month, as Senator Tom Berryhill and Assemblymember Frank Bigelow will make three stops in the foothills on Friday, Aug. 21. In the morning, the Senator and Assemblymember will be at the Miner’s Roadhouse in Mariposa from 9 to ...

Read More »

Grocery Discount Center Closing This Month

OAKHURST – The town is losing another locals’ favorite establishment as the proprietor of Grocery Discount Center on Road 426 announced she will shut the doors of the little-shop-that-has-everything, this month. “We are closing the store sometime mid-to-latter part of August,” said Anita Disney, who has owned the store for almost 8 years, most of those with her husband Randy. ...

Read More »

Forest Service Mourns Loss Of Beloved Volunteer

CLOVIS  – The Sierra National Forest regrets to report the passing of beloved volunteer John Glenn on Aug. 6. They share with his family in mourning his loss and express their deepest condolences on his passing. John was a longtime volunteer working with the Sierra National Forest, and died from injuries he sustained yesterday, engaging in the volunteer work he ...

Read More »

Reading to the Rhythm at the North Fork Library

By Sarah Lingenfelter NORTH FORK – The North Fork Library held their six-week children’s and teen summer reading program encouraging kids, preteens, and teens to read throughout the summer by participating in the positive influence of music. The children’s program featured local music, diverse musicians and musical instruments from around the world, line dancing, fun with bubbles, and musical instrument ...

Read More »

Yosemite Lakes Park Blood Drive

YOSEMITE LAKES PARK – Experts say 97% of all Americans will have a loved one or friend need life-saving blood in their lifetimes, and 75% of people who reach age 72 will have needed blood themselves. Ladies of the Lakes (LOL), in partnership with the Central Valley Blood Bank, is hosting a blood drive on Saturday, Aug. 22, from 9 ...

Read More »

Russel Wayne Loudon

Russel Wayne Loudon, longtime resident of Oakhurst passed away from natural causes on July 16th, 2015 at age 67. Mr. Loudon had recently retired from the Raymond-Knowles School District where he worked as a bus driver, coach, teacher’s aide and maintenance man. Previously Mr. Loudon worked with main frame computers in Salt Lake City Utah, was a painting contractor and ...

Read More »

A Life Well Served: Dale Dewey Miller

OAKHURST – Services have been announced for beloved area resident Dale Miller, now set for Saturday, August 8 at Mountain Christian Center at 2 p.m. A reception will immediately follow at the Oakhurst Community Center Pavillion Room. Proud American, dedicated firefighter/fire battalion chief, loving husband, father, grandfather and friend, Dale Dewey Miller, passed away on July 20, 2015, at the ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online