Home » Community (page 293)

Community

Peddlers Fair Packs Coarsegold’s Historic Village

COARSEGOLD — Sunny blue skies and a relatively mild weather forecast were expected to help draw at least 4,000 or 5,000 people over the long weekend to the annual Labor Day Peddlers Fair at Coarsegold’s Historic Village. The event provides an opportunity for vendors specializing in antiques and collectibles to display and “peddle” their exotic wares. There’s also plenty of ...

Read More »

GadgetRefresh: Expert Electronics Repair In Oakhurst

OAKHURST — Owner Adam Barthold first began serving the mountain area over seven years ago, at first offering mobile cellphone and tablet repair services to the residents of the mountain area and then eventually opening his first brick and mortar location — EZ Screen Cellphone & Tablet Repair — in 2016. In 2017, he brought his sister Olivia Huffstutler onto ...

Read More »

Camarena Health, Kern Family Farm Honored by Madera County Compact

MADERA — Camarena Health and Kern Family Farm each received a Crystal Tower Award this week at the 16th Annual Business and Education Shareholders’ Luncheon, which hosted by the Madera County Compact. The two businesses were recognized for their partnerships with Madera County schools in front of more than 160 business and community leaders at the Aug. 27 event. The ...

Read More »

Celebration of Life for George “Chuck” Bredesen

There will be a Celebration of Life for George “Chuck” Bredesen on Saturday, September 7, at 11:00 a.m. at the Yosemite Lakes Community Church, 43840 Patrick Avenue, Coarsegold. Chuck was a long time resident of the Oakhurst and Coarsegold communities where he worked for and retired from the USFS. Remembrances should be given to a favorite charity.  

Read More »

Pet Of The Week: Samantha The Kitten

Samantha the kitten

Can you hear me now? I’d love to hear from you! My name’s Samantha and I really need a good home soon as I have heard some very bad things about a holiday coming up that’s not so great for black kitties! I am quite the purrfect kitten. I have a very sleek fur coat, gorgeous eyes, and very sweet ...

Read More »

Celebration Of Life For William J. Schlichting

Bill Schlichting

NORTH FORK — William J. Schlichting passed away August 21, 2019, with his family by his side. Bill lived in North Fork for 70+ years until recently moving to Fresno. After graduating from Sierra High school, Bill enlisted in the Navy and was a Korean War veteran. Once home from the Navy, he worked at the North Fork lumber mill. ...

Read More »

EMC SPCA President Provides Progress Report on New Shelter

OAKHURST — Sharon Fitzgerald, board president of EMC SPCA, shared a progress report this week regarding the organization’s new no-kill animal shelter off Highway 49 in Ahwahnee. Fitzgerald, the organization’s driving force for nearly 30 years, is the owner of The Cat’s Meow in Oakhurst. She also operates the EMC SPCA Thrift Shop next door to her store. The 2,000-square-foot ...

Read More »

Yosemite Ranger Receives Prestigious National Honor

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK — Yosemite National Park Ranger Jack Hoeflich is among the best and most versatile park rangers in the country  — and he’s now got the hardware to prove it. At a special ceremony held at the United States Department of the Interior last week, Hoeflich was honored as the 2018 recipient of the National Park Service’s Harry ...

Read More »

Celebration Of Life for Kenneth P. Kirby

Kenneth P. Kirby, 91, a long-time resident of Oakhurst, passed away on August 23, 2019. Ken was born on April 30, 1928, in Ventura, California. He was well known to the community, especially for his 55 years of volunteer work at the Oakhurst Community Center, Sierra Mountaineer Days, and the Sierra Oakhurst Lions Club. Ken is survived by his wife ...

Read More »

Walk4Liberty Finishes Long Journey In Oakhurst

OAKHURST — Starting in Vinton and winding their way down Highway 49, through Downieville, Angels Camp, Sonora and Mariposa, Walk4Liberty, a group trying to raise awareness for the plight of small-scale miners and the difficulties they face, finished their journey Sunday afternoon in Oakhurst.  Entering Raley’s parking lot and crossing a red, white, and blue finish line to the theme ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online