Home » Community (page 207)

Community

Get the Latest News from the Fresno Art Museum!

Image of Fletcher Benton sculpture.

The week of March 15, 2021, marked the Fresno Art Museum (FAM) being closed due to COVID-19 for one whole year (except for a few weeks in October 2020). Thanks to all of you who care about the Museum, they are as vital as ever, and are ready to seamlessly reopen and sooner rather than later! Although Fresno County has ...

Read More »

Pet of the Week: Helga the Cat

Image of Helga the Cat.

Hello there, Helga here… Just waiting to be part of your family. I am a purrrfect kitty! I like other cats and I have been in my foster home with Pearl, the lucky German Shepherd who got to go to a wonderful  rescue place. I have been spayed, and everyone says I am beautiful! All I need is a family to make my life complete. Call the EMCSPCA at 559-683-1266 to meet me.

Read More »

Create Your Defensible Space

CAL FIRE reminds us to “Create Your Defensible Space” as fire season approaches.  Madera-Mariposa-Merced- Recent rains were a welcome sight to drought parched California, but the Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) firefighters are not letting their guard down. CAL FIRE’s Defensible Space Inspectors (DSI) will be conducting inspections within the State Responsibility Area (SRA) and enforcing the ...

Read More »

History Mystery #97

Image of an old sign in the woods.

History Mystery #97, Chinchilla Ranches and Mystery Signs in the Madera County Mountain Communities Prepared by Andy Brooks, Raymond Museum volunteer The Chinchilla ranch industry, though short lived by most history standards, had a favorable economic impact on the Madera County mountain area communities. How many ranches were there? What other businesses were created from the Chinchilla ranch industry? Who ...

Read More »

Community Town Hall Meeting

District 5 Supervisor Tom Wheeler Will be Holding Another Town Hall Meeting Thursday, April 1st. 2021. NORTH FORK – Supervisor Wheeler’s office has received a number of questions from individuals about Madera Counties transition from purple tier to red tier. Director of Public Health, Sara Bosse, will be the first speaker at tomorrow’s town hall meeting. She will be available ...

Read More »

Visit Yosemite Madera County

The Visitors Center in Oakhurst, Visit Yosemite Madera County, is looking for energetic volunteers.  OAKHURST – The Visitors Center is looking for energetic volunteers to join our Front Desk team! It is a great way to learn more about the area, share what you know and meet new people while providing valuable information to the visitors and locals that come ...

Read More »

Fresno State In-Person Commencement

Image of the CSU Fresno Bulldog mascot.

Fresno State Plans In-Person Commencement Due to Improving COVID Numbers FRESNO — Fresno County’s COVID-19 improved ranking to the state’s red tier category will allow Fresno State to offer smaller-scale, in-person commencement ceremonies May 14, 15, and 16 in Bulldog Stadium for graduates of the Classes of 2020 and 2021. “With the expectation that Fresno County will be in a ...

Read More »

Small Business Fairness Act

SACRAMENTO – The Small Business Fairness Act (SB 430), introduced by Senator Andreas Borgeas (R–Fresno), was approved by the Senate Business and Professions Committee with a 12-0 vote. The Small Business Fairness Act is part of Senator Borgeas’ Economic Recovery Package, which includes SB 74 and SB 265. Senate Bill 430 requires state agencies to work with small businesses and ...

Read More »

Fundraiser For Creek Fire Recovery

Image of the Central Valley Community Bank logo.

Central Valley Community Bank Raises over $83,000 for Central Sierra Resiliency Fund, Established in September 2020 while the Creek Fire was raging through the Central Sierra mountains, The Fund is dedicated to restore, revitalize and reforest the region. FRESNO – Central Valley Community Bank President and CEO, James M. Ford, announced that the Bank raised over $83,000 for the Central ...

Read More »

2021 Virtual Academic Pentathlon a Success!

MADERA COUNTY – The second virtual Madera County Academic Pentathlon concluded with an online Super Quiz after a full morning of testing on Saturday, March 13.  Rivergold Elementary School was the victor in this year’s 7th grade competition and Martin Luther King, Jr. Middle School (MLK) was the champion in the eighth grade competition. This is MLK’s first overall team ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online