MARIPOSA COUNTY — Property owners who have lost or sustained damage to their property due to the Oak fire in Mariposa County may be eligible for the following:
- A reduction in the assessed value of their property
- An option to defer payment of your next installment of property taxes due to the Governor’s proclaimed the State of Emergency
- Free replacement of vital records
Related Story: Locals Create Oak Fire Relief Fundraiser
The Assessor’s office will be working in cooperation with Cal Fire to visit the impacted areas to support property owners by updating records, enrolling corrections, and tracking protected base year values.
Disaster Relief Claim forms will be sent out by the Assessor’s office and will include:
- Application for Reassessment of Damaged Property
- o This claim must be received by the Assessor within 12 months from the date of damage
- Application for Tax Deferral for Damaged Property
- o This claim must be received by the Assessor no later than 5 PM on the due date of the property tax bill installment due immediately following the calamity (December 10th or April 10th.)
To update a mailing address for assessment and property tax purposes, property owners need to notify the Assessor’s office in writing of the new address. A Change of Mailing Address form can be downloaded from the Assessor’s office website or obtained at the Assessor’s office front counter.
Assessor forms can be found at: www.mariposacounty.org/391/Assessor-Forms
COPIES OF DESTROYED VITAL RECORDS ARE AVAILABLE
Copies of vital records that were destroyed by the Oak fire, such as Birth, Death, and Marriage Certificates, are available to be replaced for free.
Recorder Forms can be found at: www.mariposacounty.org/1804/Vital-Records-Request
For additional information, please visit: www.boe.ca.gov/proptaxes/disaster-relief.htm#Description
Individuals who have suffered fire damage due to the Oak Fire are encouraged to contact the Assessor’s Office at 209-966-2332 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Vincent P. Kehoe, Mariposa County Assessor-Recorder www.mariposacounty.org/64/Assessor-Recorder