Celebrate Oakhurst’s 100th birthday at Mountain Heritage Days on Sept. 14 and 15 at Fresno Flats Historic Village and Park. The two-day celebration begins on Friday at 4 p.m. with children’s art activities, vendors and crafts, and sandwiches and drinks available.
Then the Golden Chain Theatre will present the melodrama, “A Fastidious Finagling Fiasco Fixing Fresno Flats,” a farce on how Fresno Flats lost its name and became Oakhurst. Dinner is available and the Golden Chain singers will entertain, along with the ever-popular Can-Can Girls.On Saturday at 10:00 a.m. the Heritage Days parade steps off from Yosemite High, complete with marching bands and floats, and the community taking part in the celebration down School Road (427). Click here for road closure information.
Following the parade, Fresno Flats will be filled with children’s games, fun and food for everyone, provided by the service clubs of Oakhurst.
Be sure to get your bid in at the silent action, and catch the pioneer demonstrations like gold panning and working at the Old Print Shop. Children will be delighted by the miniature horses, and costumed docents will welcome visitors to the Village.
At 4 p.m.. the wine and cheese reception begins in the Beulah Mills Garden with entertainment by the Chambermaid Singers.
At 6 p.m. a barbeque of steak or salmon ($20) will be served by community volunteers. Dinner music will be provided by Joe Nelson (1930’s music) and Jim Collier, featuring Civil War songs on banjo.
Here are some major silent auction items, procured by Ray and Sandy Edmundson.
- 2 nights at the Marriott Suite in Anaheim, and 4 tickets to Disneyland – $2500 value
- Dodger Tickets
- A’s Tickets
- Gift Cert from IQ Vision $250
- 4 1-day passes to Disneyland and California Adventure – $500.00 value
- Pier 39 Family Fun Pack
- Over 100 auction items!
Parking is free and there is no admission fee. Help celebrate Oakhurst’s 100th birthday at Fresno Flats this weekend. This is truly a family event!
FRIDAY EVENING – SEPT. 14
4 – 6PM
* Children’s Art Activities Childrens Museum of the Sierra
* Sandwiches/Chips/Soda $5.00 Chicken Salad on a Croissant – Thank you Fresno Flats Volunteers!
* Beer Booth
* Ice Cream Social – Fresno Flats Volunteers
6:30 – 7:30PM
SATURDAY – SEPT. 15
10 – 11AM
* Silent Auction – Open for Bids
11 – 2PM
* Food Booth/Beverages
Sierra Oakhurst Kiwanis
12 – 3PM
* Children’s Art Activities
12:30 – 2:30PM
* Cake Walk – Each Half Hour
* Sluice Box Derby-Sierra Lions Club (I have an e-mail out to the President to see if they can give us more info)
* Parade Awards
* Silent Auction Closes
4 – 5:30PM
* Wine & Cheese Reception – Red and White wines, cheese and grapes with Chambermaid Singers
* Bar-B-Que Dinner with Live Music – Steak or Salmon and the fixings $20.00
* Door Prize Awarded
12 – 4PM
* Gift Shop Open for Business
Demonstrations – All Day