MADERA COUNTY — The Opening Reception of the mountain region’s Yosemite Western Artists Group was a huge success, says Madera County Arts Council (MCAC) Gallery Director Emily Redondo, with a great crowd and celebrated the winners in each category.
“It has been a joy to host such a great collection of art from around Madera County,” Redondo enthuses. “In the past, we have hosted a small portion of the YWA exhibition for one month. We are working on ways to better support our mountain area artists and I believe hosting a larger portion of the exhibition for two months is a great step. We hope to host their entire exhibition next year and maybe even provide a more permanent space for YWA artists in the future.”
Best of Show was awarded to Ally Benbrook for her painting, Splash. Ally is the co-owner, with husband Mike, of Oakhurst Spirits craft distillery and The Gallery at Oakhurst Spirits.
• 1st – Blue Half Dome, Hannelore Fischer
• 2nd – Country Girl, Mary Jane Brewster
• 3rd – Three-in-one, Phyllis McAdams
• Honorable Mention – Heads Up, Barbara Fruehe
• 1st – Pink Bearded Iris, John Minney
• 2nd – The Old Blue Queen, Sandy Myers
• 3rd – Greeting the Morning, Carolyn Hartling
• Honorable Mention – Miss Sarah, Sandy Myers
• 1st – Dry Leaves and Dreamers, Carla Rajnus
• 2nd – Uncovered Treasures, Sandra Lee Scott
• 3rd – Modern Building Materials, Trowzers Akimbo
• Honorable Mention – Always Whisper Some Love to Me, Kathy Marks
• 1st – Sierra Moonlight, Marianne Hamilton
• 2nd – High Country Creek, Sandra Lee Scott
• 3rd – Reflections in the Pond, Ginny Burdick
• Honorable Mention – Mudflats of Yellowstone, Darlene Jaeger
-Mixed Items and Sculpture-
• 1st – Under Leaves, Lura Schwarz Smith
• 2nd – Wild Horses, Gretchen Lee
• 3rd – Chartreuse Eye, Carolie Jensen
• Honorable Mention – Mini Fam too, Carolie Jensen•
Madera County Arts Council is hosting the painting, drawing, fiber, mixed media & sculpture portion of the Yosemite Western Artists’ 46th Annual Tri-County Art Show from May 8th through June 22nd, 2018. This exhibition is FREE and open to the public Tuesdays through Fridays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., at the Circle Gallery, located at 1653 N. Schnoor, Suite 113, Madera, CA 93637.
On display are artworks by local artists Ally Benbrook, Amy Purcell, Adra Holland, Barbara Fruehe, Carla Rajnus, Carolie Jensen, Darlene Jaeger, Carolyn Hartling, Doug Boomer, Eliede Pounds, Ginny Burdick, Gretchen Lee, Hannelore Fischer, Jared Barbick, John Minney, Kathy Marks, Lura Schwarz Smith, Marianne Hamilton, Mary Beth Harrison, Mary Harsh, Mary Jane Brewster, Phyllis McAdams, Reva Colliver, Rita Adams, Sandra Lee Scott, Sandy Myers, Trowzers Akimbo, and Vicki Thomas.
About Yosemite Western Artists: Yosemite Western Artists is an association of artists and art patrons dedicated to promoting the visual arts in the western Yosemite area and foothills. YWA has been offering art workshops, demos and social gatherings for painters and photographers since 1969. We encourage “the practice of craft” to enhance the enjoyment and skill of artists of all mediums.
About Madera County Arts Council: Madera County Arts Council is a 501(c)(3) non-profit established in 1982 by the Madera County Board of Supervisors. Our mission is to provide residents and visitors access to art and culture through diverse programs and services, promote art education, and support local artists and arts groups.
All photos credited to Emily Redondo, Gallery & Publicity Manager