AHWAHNEE — This month’s Helping One Woman (HOW) recipient is Jackie Martin and her HOW dinner will be Wednesday, October 19, at 6 p.m. at The Hitchin’ Post, located at 42592 Hwy 49, in Ahwahnee. See map below.
Jacquelyn is lovingly sponsored by Leslie Stevens, Trudy Truesdell, and Tom Wheeler.
When: Wednesday, October 19, at 6 p.m.
Where: The Hitchin’ Post, Ahwahnee
Click here to RSVP.
Jacquelyn Martin, along with her fiancé Jeff, are parents to four amazing kids, Montgomery (Monty) 12, Myles 11, Marshall 10, and Jemma 3. On November 5, 2020, Myles was diagnosed with osteosarcoma after the discovery of a tumor on his right wrist. On February 13, 2021, Myles underwent 13 hours of surgery to remove the tumor, obtain clear margins of bone, and to completely reconstruct his wrist using bone from his left leg.
On September 2, 2021, Myles completed chemo and was pronounced cancer free. He remained cancer free on each of his routine three-month scans until August 15, 2022, when Jackie took Myles to the ER because he was experiencing back pain. His lab work showed signs of leukemia. The hospital performed a bone marrow biopsy on August 16, 2022, and Myles received a new diagnosis of Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML), a rare side effect of his previous treatment.
Treatment for AML began immediately, but ended with an extended stay when Jackie requested a scan of his back because of severe pain. The scan revealed a pomegranate sized tumor compressing his spinal cord. Myles was rushed into surgery to remove as much of the tumor as safely possible, relieving his spinal cord.
The biopsy of the tumor came back positive for a recurrence of osteosarcoma. Myles was released with oral chemo to control the leukemia while his doctors consulted with specialists around the country for a treatment plan for both cancers. The pain medication wasn’t controlling his pain, so Jackie took Myles back to the clinic and asked for another scan. This scan, just a week ago, showed the remaining part of the tumor growing at a rapid rate. Myles started on chemo to stop its growth and hopefully kill it. This combination of cancers is making it difficult for the doctors to come up with a treatment plan.
Cancer has been hard on the whole family. Jeff and Jackie have both had to quit their jobs and the kids involvement in activities has been difficult. Yet, in spite of all they’ve been through, on October 15, Jeff and Jackie are getting married. Myles and the other boys will be Jeff’s groomsmen and 3-year-old Jemma will be their flower girl.
The Hitchin’ Post
42592 Hwy 49
Ahwahnee, CA 93601
H.O.W. It Works
• You must RESERVE your seat on mysosevent.com. We begin check-in at 6 p.m., raffle drawing at 7 p.m. Dinner is open seating. RSVP deadline is Sunday, October 16.
• To reserve your seat visit mysosevent.com, search for the event “HOW Oakhurst Celebrates Jacquelyn Martin”. Sign in, click RESERVE, SELECT a TICKET. Bringing guests? ADD ANOTHER TICKET for each guest.
• Dinner to be purchased from the restaurant. IMPORTANT: Your dinner reservation does not include the $10 recipient gift which is payable at check-in.
• If your plans change and you are unable to attend a HOW Dinner, PLEASE modify your reservation before the reservation deadline.
• A $10.00 minimum monetary recipient gift is collected at the door, payable in cash or check only. Checks to be made payable to Jacquelyn Martin.
• Raffle, silent and/or live auction items available! Prize drawing tickets available for purchase. $1 per ticket or $5 for six tickets.
• ALL monies collected are gifted to our recipient, Jacquelyn.
• Interested in contributing a prize drawing, auction item or donation? Drop off your gifts Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. at Tokens, 40410 Hwy 41 in Oakhurst. Contact a HOW Leader if you’re not able to deliver.
• Men and well-behaved children are welcome to attend our events!
• Want to make your own nomination? Simply attend our HOW Dinner and complete a nomination form. One person may complete one nomination form per dinner, so bring friends! Not sure your recipient qualifies to be nominated? Contact HOW Oakhurst for guidelines. Jacquelyn will randomly draw next month’s nominee at the end of the evening.
• You do not have to know our recipient to attend a HOW Dinner. Everyone is welcome!
The overwhelming emotional & heartfelt support that we give our recipients is the energy behind the Helping One Woman Organization. We look forward to sharing this energy with you Wednesday, October 19, when we will honor Jacquelyn. ♥
HOW Oakhurst Team: Sue Higgins, Jennifer Snyder, Nancy Fikkert, Kim Morris, Leslie Stevens, Sponsor