MARIPOSA COUNTY — Firefighters worked throughout the night to slow the progress of the Detwiler Fire, now estimated at 45,724 acres with just 7 percent containment.
More than 10,000 people are currently without power, and thousands have been evacuated.
Firefighters are focusing their efforts on protecting the town of Mariposa.
The fire has jumped the Merced River near the Bagby Bridge and is headed up the mountain towards Coulterville.
With the fire making a hard run at Highway 49 near Schilling Road, fire officials are requesting an evacuation advisory for Coulterville. They estimated about 5,000 acres outside the line in that area.
We are awaiting updates from Cal Fire, and will post again when than information becomes available.
Below are the latest maps of the fire area.
Red Cross Evacuation Shelters:
- EV Free Church at 50443 School House Road in Oakhurst
- Oakhurst Community Center at 39800 Fresno Flats Road in Oakhurst, Small Animal Okay
- Sierra Presbyterian Church at 39696 Highway 41 in Oakhurst
- Cesar Chavez Middle School at 161 Plainsburg Road in Planada , Small Animals Okay
- Groveland Community Hall at 18720 Hwy 120 in Groveland
For large animals call Mariposa County Animal Control 209-966-3614
The Coarsegold Rodeo Grounds is open for large animal evacuations. Call Belinda for more information at 559-676-3702. Click here for a map.