NORTH FORK–The Fork Fire is on its third day of burning and firefighters both in the air and on the ground are gaining in the battle to control the fire. What started as 4 roadside fires on Wednesday, September 7, 202, has now burned 819 acres. The firefight is being led by CalFire’s Madera, Mariposa, and Merced Unit.
The Fork fire did not exhibit much fire growth overnight. Firefighters continue to aggressively construct and reinforce control lines and are reporting 20% containment. Mop-up operations have begun. Hot and dry weather conditions are still a concern. A damage assessment team has been activated and will be confirming damaged and/or destroyed structures.
A Zonehaven evacuation map is being utilized by fire managers to streamline evacuation orders.
Red Cross volunteers are providing safe shelter, food, water, health services, showers, emotional support, and additional resources to anyone displaced by the fire at the Oakhurst Community Center (39800 Fresno Flats Rd, Oakhurst, CA 93644)
Small animals can go to the Oakhurst Community Center at 39800 Fresno Flats Rd, Oakhurst, CA 93644, and large animals can go to the Coarsegold Rodeo Grounds at 44777 Rodeo Grounds Ln, Coarsegold, CA 93614.
Current Evacuation Orders
The following evacuation orders have been reduced to warnings for the following areas:
- MDC-88B: Road 228 to North Fork Cemetery
- Wakova Lane; MDC-88D: Mill Compound
The remaining orders are still in place:
- MDC-88B: Road 228 from the North Fork Cemetery to the dead end
- MDC-101C: Road 225 from Cascadel Road to Rainbow Drive
- MDC-101A: Road 225 from Cascadel Road to Lark Lane, Tu Nobi Way, Poy Ah Now Road
- MDC-101D: Road 225 from Lark Lane to Tera Tera Ranch Road, Boulder Creek Drive, Whiskey Pines Drive
The remaining warnings are still in place:
- MDC-100A: Road 222 from Carmen Ranch Road to Madera/Fresno County Line
- MDC-101F: Road 225 from Tera Tera Ranch Road to Kingman Flat Road
- MDC-88A: Church Street, Willow Creek Drive, and Weatherly Lane
- MDC-60A: Douglas Ranger Station Road, Elderberry Lane, and Wild Rose Lane
- MDC-101B: Cascadel Drive, Peckinpah Acres Drive, Mission Drive
- MDC-61: Cascadel Drive and Subdivision, Cascadel Height Drive, and Autumn Ridge Road
- MDC-100B: Road 222 from Road 200 to Carmen Ranch Road;
Residents will be allowed to return with proof of residency. The area still has a large amount of fire equipment on Road 222.
- Road 222 @ Road 222 (Road 222 Closed)
- Road 222 @ Carmen Ranch Road (Road 222 Closed)
- Road 225 @ Cascadel Drive (Road 225 Closed)
- Road 222 @ Tera Tera Ranch Road (Road 225 Closed)
- Road 228 @ North Fork Cemetary (Road 228 Closed)
- De Na Lane @ Road 225 (De Na Lane Closed
- Road 222 will remain closed to any thru traffic.
Spoiled Food Waste Disposal Site-
Starting at 11 am today (9/9), residents may bring spoiled food waste to the North Fork Transfer Station at 33699 Road 274, North Fork.
ID and proof of residence may be required. ONLY residents from impacted evacuation zones will be permitted to dispose of.
Services are limited to •spoiled food waste• resulting from wildfire evacuations. Sites will be monitored, and anything outside of those guidelines may be refused.
The Fork Fire is being managed cooperatively by the following agencies:
North Fork Rancheria of Mono Indians, PRCI, Madera County Sheriff’s Office, CHP, Madera County Fire, USFS, PG&E, CCADT, Red Cross
More information is available on CalFire’s Fork Fire incident page.