YOSEMITE – After being closed nearly three years for a restoration project, the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias in Yosemite National Park is set to reopen to the public at 9 a.m. on Friday, June 15.
The Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias has been closed since July 2015 to complete a landmark restoration project.
In partnership with Yosemite Conservancy, the National Park Service has been working to improve natural hydrology, construct an ADA-accessible boardwalk, construct an improved welcome plaza, and improve the overall visitor experience.
This landmark project was made possible thanks to a strong public/private partnership between the National Park Service and Yosemite Conservancy.
To visit the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias, visitors will park in a new 300-vehicle parking area at the South Entrance and hop on a free shuttle at the Welcome Plaza, which will transport you to the Lower Grove.
Key elements of the restoration include:
- Removing asphalt from the original parking lot and roadways, and transforming formerly paved areas into sustainable pedestrian trails and healthy sequoia habitat
- Creating an accessible trail system in the lower part of the grove, including boardwalks over sensitive wetland areas
- Improving accessibility around two iconic giant sequoias, the Grizzly Giant and the California Tunnel Tree
- Developing new educational signs and exhibits focused on the grove’s natural and human history
- Completing repairs and new stonework at Wawona Point, the overlook above the grove, to create a safer, more enjoyable visitor experience
- Replacing and repairing culverts to encourage natural water flow
- Building a new arrival plaza at the South Entrance, complete with parking, restrooms, shuttle, hydration stations and the Yosemite Conservancy Depot, where visitors will be able to purchase books, apparel and other retail items
More details and tips on how to plan your visit will be forthcoming. The Mariposa Grove remains closed for public safety due to ongoing construction work.
To learn more about the restoration of the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias, please visit https://www.yosemiteconservancy.org/restoration-mariposa-grove.