OAKHURST — In a regular meeting of its Board of Trustees on Thursday, June 14, Yosemite Unified School District certified a balanced budget for the next three consecutive school years, through 2020.
“The adopted budget is a $2.1 million reversal from the negative budget and fiscal oversight imposed in March 2018,” says Interim Superintendent Mike Berg. “Yosemite Unified School District is proud to assure the community of a balanced budget and stronger reserves — now five percent projected to increase to nine percent by 2020/2021, while still maintaining and expanding student programs.”
The district also set aside reserves to restore technology enhancements, much needed facility improvements, and additional professional development days for teachers and support staff.
Yosemite Unified School District (YUSD) is comprised of Coarsegold Elementary School, Rivergold Elementary School, a growing Educational Options program, and Yosemite High School.
The office of the superintendent provided this summary following last night’s meeting.
- The budget is balanced, says Berg. Revenues exceed expenditures for 2018/2019 and two subsequent years.
- Reserves will be strategically increased to 9 percent to position the district to fund one month payroll.
- The budget is positively certified and is projected to be so for 5+ years, according to the interim superintendent.
- All student programs are fully funded.
- Deferred maintenance, instruction materials, and technology enhancement funding has been restored.
- White Fleet replacement program funding has been restored.
- An assignment has been established to advance fund a TRAN reduction strategy.
- Professional development for all staff has been fully funded, says the district. PD will include data analysis for diagnosis and prescription of individual student needs, social emotional learning and student engagement, and enhanced classroom instructional strategies.
Budget goals, according to the district, include:
- Expand student opportunities.
- Enhance technology infrastructure.
- Recruit, retain, and develop staff.
- Re-establish value added professional development.
- Enhance revenue by attendance increases, business controls and fee for services.
- Establish a child care center for employees’ children.
- Decentralize budget responsibility.