MADERA — The total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Madera County remains at 33, with no new cases reported so far this week.
Nineteen people around the county who contracted the virus are now fully recovered and two people have died, according to the Madera County Department of Public Health.
The last local case to be confirmed by county health officials came on Sunday.
President Trump on Thursday unveiled a three-phase plan to re-open the economy and said the decision to lift stay-at-home orders in states would be up to individual governors.
At an afternoon press conference in Washington, COVID-19 Task Force leader Vice President Mike Pence said there are encouraging signs COVID-19’s spread is slowing. “We are making progress. We are flattening the curve,” Pence said.
In their most recent update, county health officials said they are tracking 12 active COVID-19 cases — while also “monitoring” an additional 55 individuals for signs of the coronavirus. According to its latest report, MCDPH has now monitored a total of 560 county residents for signs of coronavirus.
MCDPH on Sunday reported one new confirmed coronavirus case, a man in his 30s thought to have contracted the virus through community spread. The health department also confirmed two more local cases of COVID-19 on Friday (April 10), a man and a woman both in their 40s who are now in home isolation.
MCDPH Director Sara Bosse, who continues to encourage county residents to “stay the course” in terms of social distancing, said late last week that she does not believe the county has seen the “peak” of cases yet.
According to county officials, two local coronavirus victims remain hospitalized, a woman in her 60s and a man in his 70s. Their conditions are not known.
As of 3 p.m. Thursday, there were 27,634 confirmed COVID-19 cases in California, with the statewide death toll standing at 951.
For the latest MCDPH update, click here.