Yosemite Valley Road Network Pilot, What is the 2021 Yosemite Valley Circulation Pilot and how long will it last?
This pilot will test how well potential changes to roads and intersections relieve traffic congestion in Yosemite Valley.
This pilot will be in place at least until August and includes:
- Converting the eastbound lane from Yosemite Falls parking (west of Yosemite Valley Lodge) to Yosemite Village to westbound, so there are two westbound lanes of one-way traffic to exit Yosemite Valley
- Changing the four-way intersection near Curry Village to a three-way intersection without stop signs
- Switching the direction of traffic flow on Sentinel Drive, so that vehicles drive on the opposite side of the road
- Removing stop signs and reconfiguring the two Sentinel Drive intersections at Northside and Southside Drives
Related Story: Yosemite To Implement Pilot Permit System
For the past several years, we have been working with the Federal Highway Administration to collect traffic data and use a computer model to figure out the best way to reduce traffic congestion in Yosemite Valley. The computer model shows:
- Two-lane, one-way traffic on Northside Drive from Yosemite Village to Yosemite Valley Lodge almost doubles the number of vehicles that can exit the Valley by adding a second exit lane
- Changing the four-way intersection near Curry Village to a T-junction without stop signs improves traffic flow and reduces the number of bikes and pedestrians that cross in front of and delay vehicles
- Switching the direction of traffic flow on Sentinel Drive allows for the removal of stop signs to improve traffic flow
- Removing stop signs and reconfiguring the two Sentinel Drive intersections at Northside and Southside Drives eliminates traffic delays
For more information and detail follow this link: Yosemite Road Pilot