MADERA — The coronavirus “curve” continues to flatten locally, with the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Madera County remaining at 33, according to the latest update from the Department of Public Health.
No new cases have been reported so far this week locally although Thursday afternoon’s report showed the number of individuals being “monitored” by the county health department increased by 19 over the past 24 hours.
Twenty people around Madera County who contracted the virus are now fully recovered and two people have died. The last local case to be confirmed by county health officials came on Sunday.
Mariposa County remains one of the few counties in the state still without a single confirmed COVID-19 case.
As of 7 a.m. Friday, there have been 28,156 confirmed COVID-19 cases across California, with the statewide death toll standing at 973. Nationally, there have been 671,500 confirmed cases, with COVID-19 claiming the lives of 33,288. And according to Johns Hopkins University’s COVID-19 tracker, to date the coronavirus has infected more than 2.1 million people worldwide and killed at least 146,000.
President Trump on Thursday unveiled a three-phase plan to re-open the economy but said the decision to lift stay-at-home orders in states would be up to individual governors. At an afternoon press conference in Washington, COVID-19 Task Force leader Vice President Mike Pence said there are encouraging signs COVID-19’s spread is slowing. “We are making progress. We are flattening the curve,” Pence said.
States including Montana, Wyoming and North Dakota could qualify for entering the first phase of re-opening their economies as early as “tomorrow,” the president said Thursday afternoon.
In their most recent update, Madera County health officials said they are tracking 11 active COVID-19 cases — while also “monitoring” an additional 74 individuals for signs of the coronavirus. According to its latest report, MCDPH has now monitored a total of 569 county residents for signs of coronavirus.
MCDPH on Sunday reported one new confirmed coronavirus case, a man in his 30s thought to have contracted the virus through community spread. The health department also confirmed two more local cases of COVID-19 on Friday (April 10), a man and a woman both in their 40s who are now in home isolation.
According to county officials, two local coronavirus victims remain hospitalized, a woman in her 60s and a man in his 70s. Their conditions are not known.
MCDPH Director Sara Bosse said Thursday she was “hopeful” the curve will continue to remain flat but added: “We are making plans for the potential of a surge” in new cases.
For the latest MCDPH update, click here.