Written by Joelle Leder —
OAKHURST — Soroptimist International of The Sierras will be honoring women in our community at the “Make A Difference for Women” Awards Recognition Program at the Yosemite Gateway Inn Restaurant at noon on Thursday, Apr. 21.
Three women have been chosen to receive the “Live Your Dream” scholarship awards. The awards are given to a woman who is striving to obtain skills and education to improve her employment status and standard of living for herself and her family.
Each will receive a cash award of $1,000 plus a $100 gift card to use for gasoline for travel. The cash awards come from Soroptimist fundraiser programs that are held throughout the year.
Recipients for 2016 are Leah Shelton, Kristina Tallent and Heather Todd.
Three “Women of Distinction” awards will be given this year. This award honors a woman who has worked to improve the lives of woman and girls throughout her professional and/or volunteer work.
- Laura Norman: Sierra Telephone, Business Development Dept., Public Relations Supervisor;
- Vicki Burkhalter: La Sierra Guild, Kiwanis
- Fern Facchino: Oakhurst Sierra Rotary, Ahwahnee Hills Regional Park
Four women were chosen to be honored for the “Women Helping Women” Soroptimist award for their outstanding contribution to the women in our community. They are:
- Sara Wolters: H.O.W. (Helping One Woman), Office Manager at Realty Concepts
- Nancy Fikkert: H.O.W. (Helping One Woman), owner of Token Thrift Store
- Kristen Ambrose: H.O.W. (Helping One Woman)
- Tamara Tacket Dent: Piano/Voice Teacher, Lactation Educator