NORTH FORK – Bored and young in North Fork? A group of local citizens wants to hear from young people about what they want in their community, and increase awareness of the many things that are already available.
Everyone is invited to attend a town meeting on Wednesday, July 9, at 6 p.m. at the North Fork Library to discuss ideas for involving youth in available activities, and brainstorming about what more can be done.
What started as a desire to address the vandalism, drugs and violence perpetrated by a small group of individuals in the community, has shifted gears to providing mentoring and opportunities to young people who need direction or who feel there is nothing to do.
The Library get-together is designed to get at least one activity off the ground and work up a medium to get the word out to local youth. Organizers feel the most important component of the discussion is to hear from the kids, and all are encouraged to come and share their ideas.
All ages and abilities are needed. If you are part of an existing program, please come and tell everyone about it.
Organizers are looking for several things / people:
- An organizer to oversee the process
- Volunteers to help collect and distribute information (flyers? paper?)
- YOUNG PEOPLE with ideas of the activities they want
- Adults with ideas they want to offer
- Kids who want to be leaders
- Retirees who want to pass on skills
- Folks who want to help with the Studio after school program