To the Editor:
I mentioned that I would provide the facts and figures pertaining to the Bond being planned by the State Center Community College District (SCCCD) and how the Bond will affect Madera County residents.
Below is an image of the SCCCD District Boundaries.
Here are the basics:
1. The potential bond measure has not yet been finalized by the District Trustees.
2. The District population is 1,028,242 using (the most current) 2010 census numbers.
3. Madera County has 12.3% of the District total population.
4. The Bond measure is planned to be approximately $480 million.
5. The Bond will cost taxpayers $20.00+/- per year on each $100k of assessed property value.
6. This equates to $50.00/year for a $250K home or about $0.14 per day.
7. Fresno City College had an enrollment decline of 12.2% from 2007 to 2011.
8. Reedley, Clovis, Madera and Oakhurst had college increases from 11 to 20%.
9. The Bond should be used to support & serve the ENTIRE district, not just “southern Fresno” as alluded to in TTEE Arias’ article in the Fresno Bee.
10. $20 million will build a new campus for the Oakhurst/foothill area.
11. $20 million is approximately 5% of the planned Bond.
12. As long as Oakhurst gets a new campus the District can invest the balance of the Bond funds as they determine best for the entire District.
PS. Thank you to those who helped accumulate these facts.
To read Brad Ditton’s original Letter to the Editor, click here.
To read the Arias Fresno Bee article, click here.