The Madera County District Attorney’s Department is one of the most problem-ridden departments in our County. Our current DA, Michael Keitz, has cost the taxpayers more than $1.5 million. Let me explain:
1) Madera County has been sued in two separate lawsuits by three Madera County employees. The cost to settle these lawsuits, including attorney’s fees, was more than $1.4 million.
2) Madera County Counsel authorized an investigation on the District Attorney’s operations (known as the Rowley Report) in response to hostile work environment and discrimination complaints. The report cost the County $27,000.
3) Mr. Keitz sued the County and our Board to prevent the release of the results of the investigation, costing the taxpayers tens of thousands of dollars in attorney fees.
4) Following the judge’s ruling not to release the report due to attorney-client privilege, Mr. Keitz then sued the County and our Board for his legal fees, costing the taxpayers an additional $40,000.
5) Combined, Mr. Keitz’s lack of leadership has cost the taxpayers more than $1.5 million.
In my opinion, Mr. Keitz lacks in leadership abilities as well the management skills necessary to foster loyalty, and effective communication with his staff. His absence in the courtroom is maddening, especially considering his regular presence at ribbon cuttings.
Madera County needs leadership, integrity, and honesty in our District Attorney’s Office. We need Dave Linn.
Vote for Dave Linn on Nov. 4.
Tom Wheeler, Madera County District 5 Supervisor, North Fork.