MARIPOSA — The Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office has upgraded their Emergency Alert System from Nixle to the parent company of Everbridge, the worldwide leader in unified critical communications, “to keep residents, staff and emergency personnel safe and informed with quick and reliable emergency notifications and public service announcements.”
The Sheriff’s Office will begin using the newly named “Mariposa County Sheriff Alert” system to communicate with citizens and businesses during emergencies and other critical events.
The system will be used to alert residents and visitors about a variety of events, ranging from severe weather, fires, floods and law enforcement emergencies, to more routine announcements, such as road closures and water utility maintenance.
Messages will be sent to residents on their preferred contact paths — cell phone, SMS, home phone, email, fax, pager and more — to ensure real-time access to potentially lifesaving information.
Residents listed in the Mariposa County 911 database will be automatically subscribed to alerts by phone, but Everbridge allows citizens to self-register, provide additional contact information or opt out.
“We have a commitment to ensure public safety, community awareness and emergency response,” said Sheriff Doug Binnewies. “To uphold this, when critical information and public service announcements are available, we need to reach our residents as quickly and reliably as possible. The Everbridge emergency notification system allows the Sheriff’s Office to disseminate this information across all types of devices, ensuring that residents have access to real-time public information when they need it the most.”
The Mariposa County Sheriff Alert System provides a unified critical communication suite that helps residents and visitors of Mariposa County be better prepared, make better decisions, and respond quickly and confidently during emergency events.
Improved Features with Everbridge
This upgrade comes with several functions that are crucial in keeping our residents and visitors to Mariposa County safe and updated with the latest information. Some of the most notable are:
- Multiple Contact Methods – Residents will now be able to add multiple cell phones, home phones and emails to one account. Residents can also add multiple locations within the county they wish to be informed about.
- Two Way Communication – Residents will be able to ask for help, confirm they are “OK” or even send photos to the Sheriff’s Office via; text, email or their home phones.
- Unlimited Text – Residents will now receive longer text messages with more details. With Nixle text messages are limited to 144 characters.
- Voice Call Re-play – Residents can now call back to re-listen to an emergency call.
- Updated Weather Alerts – Residents can now opt in to the weather alerts of their choice.
- There’s an App – There is now an Application for your smart phone. Search the iTunes app store or google play store for “Everbridge”
- Text Number and Email – 888-777 is now 893-61- Text messages will now come from the number 893-61. Email will come from Mariposa County Sheriff ALERT
How to Sign Up
If you already have a Nixle Log In created from Nixle.com or you filled out a paper registration – Your account has been transferred, however in order to upgrade to the multiple cell phones and weather alert controls please visit www.msoalert.com or download the Everbridge app.
If you signed up by texting 888-777 from your cell phone – You will continue to receive alerts however they will not be linked to a specific address and at this time you will continue to receive the brief truncated messages with links. In order to fully benefit from this upgrade please visit www.msoalert.com or download the Everbridge app.
If you ONLY want calls on your Home Phone (Landline) – You do not need to do anything, this information is processed through the 911 system and your home phone (landline only) has already been added to the system. If you use a cell phone as your home phone you will need to visit www.msoalert.com or download the Everbridge app to sign up.
If you do not have a current Nixle Account – Please sign up by visiting www.msoalert.com or download the Everbridge app.