MARIPOSA COUNTY – After a week-long social media sting operation, the Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office has arrested Matthew A. Tilton, 25, of Mariposa, on charges relating to contacting a minor for sexual purposes.
Once the Sheriff’s Office received reports of Tilton having inappropriate conversations with minors on social media, investigators initiated the social media operation to contact Tilton.
The conversations began with Tilton, and before long he began asking several inappropriate questions and sent explicit photos to a female he was aware was 14 years of age.
On July 16, Tilton contacted the underage teen and asked to meet with her to perform sexual activities, asking her several times to promise not to tell anyone.
Tilton was arrested at McCay Hall in Cathey’s Valley, where he asked the underage teen to meet him. He is being held at the Mariposa County Jail on a $100,000 bail on charges of:
288.2 (a)(1) PC- Distribution of Lewd Material to a Minor
288.3 (a) PC- Contacting / Communicating with a Minor for Purposes of Lewd Behavior
288.4 (b) PC- Arrange Meeting with Minor for Purpose of Engaging in Lewd Behavior
A search warrant was issued for Tilton’s residence and his social media accounts to pursue further evidence.
This is still an ongoing investigation. If you have any information regarding Matthew Tilton, you are asked to please contact the Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office at 209-966-3615.
The Sheriff’s Office warns parents of some of the signs that your child might be at risk online:
- Your child spends large amounts of time on-line, especially at night
- You find pornography on your child’s computer
- Your child receives phone calls from men you do not know or is making calls, sometimes long distance, to numbers you do not recognize
- Your child receives mail, gifts or packages from someone you do not know
- Your child turns the computer monitor off or quickly changes the screen on the monitor when you come into the room
- Your child becomes withdrawn from the family
- Your child is using an on-line account belonging to someone else.
More information regarding safety on the internet and other social media please visit https://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/parent-guide