PRATHER — The Goose Fire, burning south of Prather along Highway 168, has now grown to 1,000 acres with just 5 percent containment.
The fire was reported at 2:30 p.m. yesterday afternoon in the area of Gooseberry Lane and Morgan Canyon (see map below), and has forced the evacuation of more than 300 homes and closed Highway 168 from Auberry Road on the north, and at Old Millerton Road on the south.
Several structures have been destroyed, and power and water has been knocked out to hundreds of residents.
A request to the state for mutual aid has been accepted and more resources are coming to the area.
The Fresno County Sheriff reports evacuations and closures as follows:
- Tollhouse to Nicholas Road
- Loper Valley Road between Nicholas and Auberry
MANDATORY EVACUATION ORDERS
- Gooseberry to Morgan Canyon
- Gooseberry to Lodge Road
- Black Mountain Rd south of Lodge
- Whispering Springs Lane from Lodge Road
- Lockwood Lane from Lodge Road
- Penny Royal Lane from Lodge Road
- Gooseberry at Morgan Canyon
- Lockwood at Morgan Canyon
- Black Mountain Road at Lodge Road
- Wintermute at Lodge
- Whispering Springs at Lodge
An evacuation center has been setup by Red Cross at Foothill Middle School located at 29147 Auberry Road in Prather.
A large animal evacuation center has been setup at Sierra High School 33326 Lodge Road in Tollhouse.
For more details and updates on the Goose Fire, visit http://abc30.com/news/wildfire-near-prather-forces-hundreds-to-be-evacuated-/1450372/