MOUNTAIN AREA — In memory and honor of the life of Frank Verduzco, a scholarship fund has been established in his name by the North Fork Volunteer Fire Department Auxiliary.
Frank Verduzco was just 64 years old when he passed away on Sept. 23, 2015, and the scholarship fund is in support of those students going on to a career in fire science or medical science.
Frank was born and raised in North Fork. He graduated from Sierra High School, and was a volunteer firefighter in North Fork from the time he was 21 years old until his death in 2015 — a total of 43 years. He also worked for Ponderosa Telephone for the same number of years, and worked in almost every area of their outdoor operations.
His love of, and service to his community was one of the most important aspects of his life. It is in his honor, that the North Fork Volunteer Fire Department Auxiliary is offering two $500 academic collegiate scholarships — one to a graduate from the Class of 2016 from Minarets High School, Minarets Charter High School or Mountain Oaks High School; and one to a graduate of Sierra High School.
Students who meet the following criteria are eligible for this scholarship. The candidate:
• intends to pursue continuing education in fire science or medical science (also includes paramedic and emergency medical technician [EMT] training) or telecommunications;
• will be a graduating senior of Minarets High School, Minarets Charter High School, Mountain Oaks High School, or Sierra High School;
• has a minimum GPA of 3.0 during his/her Junior and Senior years, or 2.75 GPA from Freshman through Senior years;
• will be attending a four-year college, community college, or accredited vocational school on a full-time basis;
• can validate prior or current participation in community service, volunteer work and/or extra-curricular school activities.
Include a personal statement, resume and two letters of recommendation per the standard MHS or SHS scholarship requirement.
Recipients will be selected based on application materials submitted. Interviews will not be conducted. Payment will be made to the school of continuing education upon receiving proof of registration.
The Frank Verduzco Scholarship may be renewed for one additional year (sophomore year) if the following requirements are met:
• continues education in fire science, medical science, or telecommunications;
• maintains at least a 3.0 GPA in the first year of further education;
• provides transcript of grades for the first year of further education.
• submits a letter to the North Fork Volunteer Fire Department Auxiliary requesting the scholarship renewal on or before July 1, 2017.