OAKHURST – Join the communities of Madera County to celebrate the 125th Anniversary of Yosemite National Park with a day of festivities, and meet Dawn Wall Climber Kevin Jorgeson.
In its second consecutive year, the Yosemite Festival will be held Saturday, June 27, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Oakhurst Community Park.
President Benjamin Harrison signed the legislation 125 years ago, thereby creating the nation’s third National Park.
The establishment of Yosemite National Park preserved over 1,500 square miles of land including Tuolumne Meadows, the park’s high country, Hetch Hetchy, and lands surrounding Yosemite Valley.
This year’s festival will feature six exciting and unique regions:
- Enjoy live music and mini melodramas on the Yosemite Valley Center Stage.
- Explore Mariposa Grove Adventure Land and try your skill at a rock climbing wall sponsored by The Redwoods in Yosemite.
- Travel back in time to experience the area’s rich history in the Yosemite Falls History Center.
- Celebrate the beauty of Yosemite as you browse through art from local artists at the Half Dome Art Pavilion.
- Take your time to shop along the Merced River Vendor Trail for tasty local treats, homemade jewelry, t-shirts and more.
- When you’re ready for a break, head over to the El Capitan Food and Beverage Garden for a tasty bite provided by the Oakhurst Rotary Club.
This year, organizers are especially excited to welcome special guests Dawn Wall climber Kevin Jorgeson, along with Smokey Bear, John Muir, Abraham Lincoln, and Park Ranger Scott Gediman, with Junior Rangers Spencer and Marley Gediman. Look for them at 1 p.m. as they arrive in grand style on-board a Wagon Parade.
Following the parade, Jorgeson will speak briefly about his efforts on the Dawn Wall. Poster signing will be held immediately after.
Admission is only $2, and the first 500 people will receive a commemorative button.
VIP tickets are available, which includes admission for one, a BBQ meal (sandwich, soda/water and side), commemorative button and Dawn Wall poster for $10. VIP tickets are limited so go online and purchase now.
The Oakhurst Community Park is located at 49074 Civic Circle Drive in Oakhurst.
For advance VIP tickets, vendor inquiries, or more information, please visit us online at www.YosemiteFestival.com. You can also go on Facebook for updates and announcements at www.facebook.com/yosemitefestival.
For vendor inquiries, see vendor application online or call:
Rhonda Salisbury at 559-683-4636 – Rhonda@YosemiteThisYear.com
Bob Macaulay at 559-683-4494 – firstname.lastname@example.org