COARSEGOLD – A fire that started in the kitchen of a house on City View near Coarsegold, spread quickly and destroyed the entire structure, despite the best efforts of firefighters.
The 58-year-old resident, who was identified by a friend and neighbor as Lynette Cancelleno, was in the process of cooking, but had moved to another room, leaving the stove on and unattended, according to Incident Commander Shaun Fairbanks.
When a home health care worker arrived, she noticed smoke, which quickly began filling the house. The structure was completely engaged in a short time.
A car parked next to the house was also a total loss. Neighbor Jennifer Campbell says that Cancelleno had no insurance on the house, and minimal on the car, and that she has been suffering with health and mental issues for many years.
Cancelleno was transported by Sierra Ambulance to St. Agnes in Fresno for smoke inhalation.
Cal Fire Engines #4295, #4255, and #4284 responded, along with Squad 10, Madera County Engine #8 from Coarsegold and #12 from Oakhurst, and Water Tender #13 out of Ahwahnee.