MADERA COUNTY – The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus, otherwise known as the Clampers, is always in search of a grand time and any random reason to make merry, but their mission is the promotion and preservation of western history.
Next on the agenda for the Grub Gulch Chapter 41-49 is the dedication of a plaque and monument recognizing Dairyland School’s 100th anniversary on Saturday, Oct. 4. The event starts at 2 p.m., and will be followed at 4 p.m. by a school-sponsored BBQ chicken dinner at $12 per plate.
The Dairyland School opened in 1915 in the DeSpain house and later moved to a two room school house in 1916. Prior to 1915, children who lived in the Munich District rode the train to Chowchilla to receive an education.
Upon its opening, Dairyland School was one of the finest schools in the Valley. Four additional schools were built and over the years were merged to create the Alview-Dairyland Union School District.
Dairyland is located at 12861 Avenue 18 1/2 in Chowchilla. Any questions regarding the Clamper dedication can be directed to Historian Steve Varner at 559-642-6246, and questions regarding the BBQ can be directed to the school at 559-665-2394.