Breaking News
Home » Community (page 90)

Community

Academic All Stars: Minarets Girls Soccer

By Greta Ziegler —  O’NEALS — Those who play sports in high school are student athletes. Maintaining a decent GPA is key in order to be eligible to play sports, and the Minarets varsity girls soccer team has done just that. They have become the first Minarets team to place first in the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) Central Section academic competition ...

Read More »

Terraces, Berms And Swales: Over The Garden Fence

By Brian David —  California’s Mediterranean climate of short, wet winters and long, dry summers sustains more diverse foliage than any other of the 49 states. For California’s commercial agriculture and home gardening, however, capturing water is crucial. We channel surface runoff from watersheds, diverting water into reservoirs and dams and direct the flow and delivery of water through aqueducts ...

Read More »

OCI Focus on Staff: Bonnie Mills

By Star Gongora and Cameron Foster —  OAKHURST — Bonnie Mills, known to her students as Mrs. Mills, is a 6th grade teacher at Oak Creek Intermediate (OCI) in the fields of English Language Arts and Social Studies. She started teaching at Raymond-Knowles Elementary School and has been at OCI ever since. This year, Mrs. Mills began her 28th year ...

Read More »

February HOW Dinner Honors Yvonne Boiteax

OAKHURST — The nonprofit organization Helping One Woman (HOW) will gather friends and neighbors to honor Yvonne Boiteux at The Hitching Post in Ahwahnee, starting at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 20, 2019. Yvonne, 32, has lived in North Fork since 1991, graduating from Sierra High School and working at Starbucks for many years. Currently, she works at The Forks and ...

Read More »

Challengers Little League Team Wants Better Access To Field

OAKHURST — There’s a ball field, and there’s a team. Problem is, the team can’t navigate the field. Despite its popularity, our busy local Little League field has inadequate access for about 20 softball players with special needs, say parents — and organizers agree. From walkers to wheelchairs, it’s extremely difficult to get around the facility. Severe disrepair and a lack ...

Read More »

ACT Dog Of The Week: Quirky Junie

The Animal Compassion Team (ACT) foster and adoption Dog of the Week for SNO is a special little girl who can use some love. Junie is an adorable Chihuahua who’s about two years old. “Hi, I’m Junie! Aren’t I the cutest little thing? My foster mom says I’m as cute as a button — and I know it. I’m great ...

Read More »

Minarets Senior Aaron Hall Wins Lions Club Speakers Contest

NORTH FORK – For the second year in a row, Aaron Hall took top honors at the North Fork Lions Club Student Speakers Contest, held on Wednesday, Feb. 13, at the Scout Building. Five speakers participated in the Club level of the 82nd annual competition. This year’s topic – “Freedom of the Press: What does it mean?” Each student is ...

Read More »

Sierra Oakhurst Kiwanis Lucky Bingo Night

OAKHURST — You’re in luck! Tickets are now available for Sierra Oakhurst Kiwanis annual bingo party. Doors open at the Oakhurst Community Center on Saturday, Mar. 16 at 5 p.m. and bingo starts at 6:30 p.m. $25 includes dinner and bingo cards, with delicious fare provided by the Kiwanis that’s set to include bangers, cole slaw, baked beans, chips, and ...

Read More »

In Memory Of Sam “Slammin’ Sammy K” Hutchison

“Slammin’ Sammy K” “Crane Dude, Jr.” Beloved father, brother, uncle, cousin, and cherished friend Sam K. Hutchison passed away on Feb. 9, 2019 at home in Oakhurst, surrounded by loved ones, at the age of 62. Sam was born to Virginia and William Hutchison at Grossmont Hospital in La Mesa, California, on Oct. 25, 1956. Always fun-loving and curious, Sam ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online