Breaking News
Home » Community (page 41)

Community

Students Celebrate Reading With Week Of Words — WOW!

By Jeannie O. Harsha —  OAKHURST — Students at Oakhurst Elementary School (OES) just completed their annual Week of Words – a celebration of the wonder and magic of reading.   Local author and illustrator Michael Elsohn Ross kicked off WOW week with an informative assembly about his experience as a writer-illustrator of nearly four dozen books. His newest one, ...

Read More »

New Urgent Care Clinic Still On Track For Oakhurst

OAKHURST – Camarena Health remains on track to open its new urgent care clinic in Oakhurst soon. The “community-based” healthcare provider is currently in the process of remodeling the old Sierra Star building on Road 426 and will open the new clinic when the renovation work is complete, Camarena CEO Paulo Soares said Monday. “We are very excited to expand ...

Read More »

Comedy And Improv Bring The Bard To Life

OAKHURST — In a bold move, theatrically speaking, students at Yosemite High School are mounting a comedic play with attempts to condense all of the Bard’s works into one 90-minute production. Now, the community is invited to see the results as the Badgers present The Complete Works of Shakespeare (Abridged). The show opens on Thursday, May 2 through Saturday, May ...

Read More »

May Audubon Program Features Preservation Of Golden Trout

Written by Scarlett Bullock – OAKHURST – Fisheries biologist Yos will discuss the history of golden trout and California Department of Fish and Wildlife’s effort to conserve this special species of concern during the May Yosemite Area Audubon (YAAS) Program. Golden trout are native to select high elevation streams and lakes in the Kern River drainage of the southern Sierra. ...

Read More »

Tenaya Lodge Hosts Job Fair In Oakhurst

OAKHURST — With the new cabins at Tenaya Lodge nearly ready to begin hosting guests, and the newly remodeled Jackalopes restaurant open for business, the folks at Tenaya Lodge continue to expand their team. To find just the right people to fill the new positions, Tenaya will host a job fair at their Oakhurst Recruitment Center on Tuesday, April 30,  ...

Read More »

Veterans Tap into Resources at ‘Stand Down’ in Oakhurst

OAKHURST – Vietnam veteran Floyd Barnett didn’t mind driving two hours from Visalia to Oakhurst Saturday to take part in the Veterans Stand Down. “The folks that run this are terrific and always help me out,” Barnett says. “And it’s a great place to meet my brothers and sisters. Sometimes I don’t get to see them at the VA. So ...

Read More »

Hootenanny Benefits Wildland Firefighter Foundation

COARSEGOLD — A “fun run” and lively Cornhole competition were just two of the highlights of this weekend’s “Hootenanny” at the Coarsegold Rodeo Grounds. The second-annual event is a fundraiser for the Wildland Firefighter Foundation (WFF). Event organizer Erin Capuchino said this year’s hootenanny was expected to draw more than 200 attendees. Last year’s inaugural event raised about $7,000 for ...

Read More »

Students Step Back In Time For Science And History

By Kearsten Hymer — COARSEGOLD — On Thursday, April 25 ,Coarsegold Elementary welcomed Golden Gulch Adventures. Students from Mrs. Hymer’s, Mr. Jones’ and Mr. Medley’s classes were able to go back in time to the Gold Rush Era. The day started with an entertaining and interactive presentation. Students got to help act out the moment gold was first discovered in ...

Read More »

ACT Dog Of The Week: Sweet And Happy Donut

The Animal Compassion Team (ACT) foster and adoption Dog of the Week for SNO is a sweet little pup who could use a good home. Donut is an adorable Pit Bull mix who’s about six months old. “Hi, I’m Donut! My foster mom says I am a very happy gal who’s ready for my forever home. I was rescued from ...

Read More »

Free Community Meals At Public Coffee House

NORTH FORK – Public Coffee House once again invites the community to join in and break bread together as they return to a month-end tradition and serve two free hot meals: a dinner on Friday and a breakfast on Saturday morning. The events are planned with the help of Manna House and all are welcome to attend. On Friday, April ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online