Home » Community (page 367)

Community

Celebrating Flag Day At Oakhurst Lutheran

OAKHURST — Continuing a tradition began in 2009, Oakhurst Lutheran Church will hold a celebration in honor of Flag Day on Thursday, June 14. As usual, the touching event will take place in the memorial garden at the church, with a ceremony at the veterans’ monument, starting with dinner at 6 p.m. This year’s inspirational speaker will be Ed Bates. Dinner ...

Read More »

Over The Garden Fence: Getting Help, Finding Answers

By Brian David (UC Master Gardener, Mariposa) In Mariposa we can access answers to gardening questions through the University of California’s Master Gardener Helpline. Belinda Gilbert and Diane Timmins, UC Master Gardener Helpline volunteers, explain the helpline process. What is the purpose of the U.C. Master Gardener’s Helpline?  We receive calls from people wanting help identifying insects or plants. Sometimes ...

Read More »

Hazardous Waste Collection Day In Oakhurst

OAKHURST — This is your chance to clean out that garage or shed, get rid of that broken TV, or dispose of paint and dangerous chemicals. Madera County is sponsoring a one-day hazardous waste disposal event on Saturday, June 16, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., at Yosemite High School, 50200 Road 427 in Oakhurst. None of the items listed below for ...

Read More »

An Evening Of Whine & Noses To Benefit Shelter

OAKHURST – Stop by Western Sierra Nursery on Friday, June 15 for “An Evening of Whine and Noses” to benefit the Eastern Madera County SPCA (EMC SPCA) and help outfit the shelter. The event is hosted annually by Western Sierra Nursery owners, Dianna and Jeff Conaway. The night out includes live music and special human treats from 6 – 8 ...

Read More »

Stuff A Backpack With Love And School Supplies

MARIPOSA — The Mariposa branch of the American Association of University Women is gearing up for another summer of outfitting quality backpacks, fully stocked with school supplies, for middle school students throughout our county. This year we have expanded our project to include a partnership with the JC Fremont Back to School Health Fairs.  We will additionally continue to donate ...

Read More »

Madera County Cops Carry Torch For Special Olympics

MADERA – Law enforcement agencies throughout Madera County are gearing up for the annual Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics on Tuesday, June 12. The mission of the Law Enforcement Torch Run is to raise awareness and funds for the Special Olympics movement. This year’s Opening Ceremonies will be hosted at 7 a.m. at Courthouse Park in Madera. The ...

Read More »

Riley’s Dog Of The Week: Meet Mowgli

Riley’s pick for the Animal Compassion Team (ACT) foster and adoption Dog of the Week for SNO is a young Aussie named Mowgli. “Hi, my name is Mowgli and my foster mom says I’m an adorable boy. Good in the car and on leash, I love cuddles and to go for walks. I’m a gorgeous Australian Shepherd, about 60 pounds and ...

Read More »

Coarsegold 4H: Before Fair

By Keiana Cramblett — COARSEGOLD — As fair week ends and the fairgrounds empty once more, I think back to all the hard work that goes into raising a animal for fair. Most people think we just give our animals food and water for a few months and that’s it. What they don’t know is the months of hard work ...

Read More »

Stellar Season For Mustang Baseball

O’NEALS — Well, that completes one stellar season for the Minarets Mustangs baseball program. After a 23-5 regular season record, led by pitchers Aaron Hall and Matt Painter and the clutch hitting from EG Walden, Aaron Hall, and Tylor Painter, the Mustangs headed into playoffs with a bye Rank #1 for Division 5 in the Valley. The Pitching Leaders had ...

Read More »

What’s Happening In June At Oakhurst Branch Library?

OAKHURST — The Oakhurst Branch Library has scheduled a full calendar of free events for the month of June, including special programs for writers, musicians, preschoolers, parents, book lovers, historians, adventurers, children, teens and seniors. Programs are held at the Library in the Sue Rhu Children’s Room, in the Library Community Room, and at the Oakhurst Community Center. Every Monday 3Pm ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online