Home » Community (page 365)

Community

End Your Love/Hate Relationship With Money

OAKHURST — Creating a budget is for many people a “love/hate” relationship, says Edward Azul, branch manager of Golden 1 Credit Union in Oakhurst. “It’s that way even for me. However, through my own personal and professional experiences over the years, I have developed some best practices to help people create and stay on a budget,” he adds. On Saturday, ...

Read More »

Free And Reduced-Price Meals For School Year 2018-19

MADERA COUNTY — Bass Lake Joint Union Elementary, Chawanakee, Raymond-Knowles Union Elementary and Yosemite Unified School Districts announce their policy to serve nutritious meals every school day under the applicable National School Lunch Program, School Breakfast Program, and/or Afterschool Snack Programs. Effective July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019, children are eligible for free or reduced-price meals if the household ...

Read More »

Mosquito Season Is Here: Guard Against Zika And West Nile

Everyone I know has been breathing a sigh of relief for the rain that has once again filled our wells and reservoirs, while bracing for the impact of summer sunshine on the landscape. If you haven’t already lined someone up to take care of the weed whacking, you may want to get that on your “to do” list. And while you’re ...

Read More »

Perfect Attendance Pays Off

OAKHURST — A mom calls out to her son, “Harry, wake up! You’ll be late for school.” The son replies, “Mom, I don’t want to go to school — the teachers and students hate me! Give me one reason I should go?” The mom says back, “You should go because you’re the principal!” Fortunately, 32 students at Oakhurst Elementary School ...

Read More »

Rev It Up For The Coarsegold Car Show

COARSEGOLD — In the mood for a little revving of the engines? With multiple classes of vehicles being judged, the Coarsegold Car Show races into town on Saturday, June 30 at Coarsegold Historic Village. The Marine Corps League Griswold Mountain Det. #1121 and the Coarsegold Chamber of Commerce have teamed up to resurrect the event, which has taken place most ...

Read More »

Local Youth Artists Shine At PCH Art Competition

Written by Cassandra Hepburn-Callis – NORTH FORK – On Saturday, June 9, Public Coffee House (PCH) had its first Youth Art Gallery Opening and Art Competition. Ten youth artists, ranging in age from 8 to 17 years old, competed in various forms of visual art . We saw some amazing artwork from our mountain youth and were impressed with their ...

Read More »

Age Well, Drive Smart CHP Driving Class For Seniors

OAKHURST — Driving is a complex skill that may diminish as a person ages, say experts, and the ability to drive safely is affected by changes in one’s physical and mental conditions. Many of these changes take place as we get older, though in different ways and at different times. To address these changes and the challenges they pose, the California ...

Read More »

Join Local CHP Officers For Coffee With A Cop

OAKHURST – Join your local CHP officers at the Cool Bean Cafe on Wednesday, June 20, from 7 to 9:30 a.m. for “Coffee With A Cop.” Coffee With A Cop is as simple as it sounds – an opportunity to share a cup of coffee and some conversation with your local officers. There’s no agenda at this event, just a ...

Read More »

Free Jazz Concert Features World Class Musicians

OAKHURST — In what promises to be an amazing night of music unlike any other, twenty-four jazz guitarists and eight bass players from across the United States and Canada and as far as from Japan and Austria will be performing on Thursday, June 28. The very special event will be held at the Queens Inn Wine & Beer Garden, from ...

Read More »

Get Your Bib On For RibFest

OAKHURST – Come on out and get your bib on for ribs on while supporting the Oakhurst Community Center, as the all-you-can-eat fundraiser known as RibFest takes place on Saturday, June 23. Proceeds benefit the Oakhurst Community Center. Doors open at 5:30 and dinner starts at 7 p.m. Tickets to RibFest are $25 per person or $10 for anyone under ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online