Home » Community (page 342)

Community

Public Coffee House Serves Free Meals To Homeless And Elderly

NORTH FORK – Public Coffee House in North Fork is working toward becoming a community outreach and youth center. Starting on Oct. 26 and 27, and every last Friday and Saturday of the month, PCH will be holding an end-of-month Free Feeding Program for the homeless of the mountain area and the elderly who are alone; but all are welcome ...

Read More »

Wildcats’ Color Run Raises Over $7,500

By Barbara Irion — AHWAHNEE — Wasuma Elementary School’s PTA held its first Color Run to raise money for the activities it provides for students throughout the year. This includes assemblies, field trips, music instruction, family movie nights, academic pentathlon, spelling bee, and book fair — to name a few. Students collected pledges per lap, or flat donations, from family ...

Read More »

This is Us: Carolyn Enlow

Carolyn Enlow

I set the world record in gold panning – women’s division in 1978, and because of that, I’m in the 1979 Guinness Book of World Records. It was a competition that started in the fifties and went until the eighties. In the late sixties my husband and I decided we wanted to start gold panning, so we had been doing ...

Read More »

Minarets Show Band Rocks

By Katherine Odgers — O’NEALS — Minarets Show Band members had the honor of performing at the Madera Compact Luncheon on Sep. 28 at the Madera Courthouse. They had been working hard on their techniques and songs for the performance and many of the songs performed varied from classic favorites like Hit Me With Your Best Shot, I Love Rock ...

Read More »

Academic Decathlon Tackles The Transformational 1960s

COUNTY — Yosemite High, Chawanakee Academy, and Glacier High Charter School decathletes will join students from throughout California for the Madera County Academic Decathlon Lecture Day on Thursday, Oct. 25. Valley experts will lecture on six subject areas to more than 600 students from throughout the state. “We are excited to offer this event to all decathletes for the 12th ...

Read More »

North Fork Scouts Have A Busy October

Submitted by Dave Smith – NORTH FORK – The Scouts of North Fork’s Troop 357 have had a very busy October. On Saturday, Oct. 6, the Scouts helped out at the Grizzly Century Bike Run by bussing tables, washing dishes and doing clean up at the Town Hall during the dinner. The following weekend, the troop traveled to Sequoia/Kings Canyon ...

Read More »

Minarets Glissaders Club: Climbing Its Way Up

O’NEALS — Minarets High School’s local climbing and outdoor activities club is on the move, having recently returned from Twin Lakes, where students and their faculty advisers hiked Kaiser Peak in the Kaiser Wilderness. With a handful of hiking, climbing and backpacking trips under their belts, the Glissaders Club, as it’s known, is getting ready to plan another big trip ...

Read More »

Family Festival & Resource Fair At Oakhurst Community Park

OAKHURST – This is your opportunity to learn about the many services available to families in the mountain area. The Inter-Agency Community Collaborative cordially invites everyone to a Family Festival and Resource Fair on Saturday, Nov. 3, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., at The Oakhurst Community Park. The Inter-Agency Community Collaborative is a group of county agencies and community ...

Read More »

Fall Festival Brings Out The Best Of The Community

OAKHURST – Under clear blue skies, the Oakhurst Fall Festival had people from all over out and about last weekend, enjoying arts and crafts, food and beverages, kids activities, exciting carnival rides and plenty of entertainment. The weather was cooperative, with warm days and cool star-studded nights to climb aboard the Ferris wheel, and take in the other midway rides. ...

Read More »

Unsigned Ballot Envelope Means Your Vote Can’t Be Counted

MADERA COUNTY – Rebecca Martinez, County Clerk-Recorder & Registrar of Voters, wants to remind voters who Vote by Mail to return your ballot early and most importantly remember to SIGN your blue return identification envelope. A Vote by Mail ballot cannot be counted without a signature. If you already returned your ballot, and the signature was missing or does not ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online