Home » Community (page 289)

Community

Meet the Artist: Aleli Gonzalez Kelton

Photo of a Flower by artist Aleli Gonzalez Kelton

My name is Aleli Gonzalez Kelton. I grew up in Burbank and attended John Burroughs High School, benefiting from the excellent photography program at JBHS in addition to participating in the Regional Occupational program offered for the field photography. The program offered many opportunities, and it wasn’t long before I decided that photography would be my career. I developed an ...

Read More »

Pet of the Week: Bailey

Hello, Bailey here. I have met the doggie doctor, had “everything” done and I am ready to go! If you want a pocket pal, that’s me! I am eight years old, love ladies and am looking for a lap. If there is a man of the house, I could learn to love him too. I like other dogs and I ...

Read More »

The American Dream: The Pines Resort Celebrates 9 Years

By Sarah Jackson Special to Sierra News Online BASS LAKE — The Pines Resort hosted an Anniversary Party Wednesday night to celebrate nine years in business — and to say thanks to their employees. Owners Kyu Sun Choe and Sun Wah Choe have a history of hard work and humble beginnings, which gives them a real appreciation for their employees. ...

Read More »

New Web Site Offers ‘Virtual’ Tour of Yosemite

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK — A new web site — Virtual Yosemite — is now offering a virtual reality (VR) tour of Yosemite National Park and its surrounding areas. The new site, which went live this summer, provides high resolution, 360-degree panoramic views from over 200 locations throughout the sprawling park. Virtual Yosemite was created and photographed by pioneering VR photographer ...

Read More »

Shadow Casters Present $2,600 Check to YLP Station 10 Firefighters

YOSEMITE LAKES PARK — The Sierra Shadow Casters Motorcycle Club hosted the Sierra Moonshine Poker Run on Sept. 7 to raise money for Station 10, located in Yosemite Lakes Park and serving a wide mountain area. More than 30 bikes participated in the run, which took the riders through North Fork, around Bass Lake, into Oakhurst then on to Knowles ...

Read More »

Take Advantage of Free Business Counseling from the SBA

OAKHURST — Valley Community SBDC offers no-cost, personalized, confidential, one-on-one consulting for start-ups, entrepreneurs, nonprofits and existing businesses. The SBDC, which is funded in part by a grant from the U.S. Small Business Administration, is focused on helping business owners and key decision makers create and retain jobs, attain capital, and improve profitability for long-term success. We have a broad ...

Read More »

16th Annual ‘Facelift’ Coming to Yosemite National Park

Yosemite National Park

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK — An extensive, park-wide yearly clean-up event — known as a “Facelift” — will take place here beginning later this week. Yosemite National Park and the Yosemite Climbing Association, which sponsor the event, invite the public to participate in the 16th Annual Yosemite Facelift, held each fall to remove litter from around the park after the busy ...

Read More »

Owner: Broken Bit About to ‘Git’ Some Attention

COARSEGOLD — Gabby the Miner has not had a lot of company lately — or attention. The 10-foot-tall statue that greets motorists on Highway 41 just north of Coarsegold is perched next to the Broken Bit, a restaurant and one-time tourist attraction that’s been closed and boarded up for years now. In January 2015, the Broken Bit was purchased by ...

Read More »

50th Annual Mountain Heritage Days Parade: Volunteerism Leads the Way

By Sarah Jackson Special to Sierra News Online OAKHURST — The importance of volunteerism and preservation of local history were the themes of the 2019 Mountain Heritage Days Parade — which took place Saturday morning in Oakhurst. The annual parade, which benefits the Fresno Flats Historic Park, is a celebration of the mountain community and its rich history. Beginning and ...

Read More »

Smokey Bear Run Rocks Bass Lake

BASS LAKE — The 32nd annual Smokey Bear Run/Walk rocked Bass Lake Saturday morning (Sept. 21), drawing hundreds of participants and spectators to the popular fundraising event. This year’s program included a 10K run and two-mile run/walk for adults and children as well as 1/2-, 1/4- and 1/8-mile races for children ages 2 to 12. The Smokey Bear Run/Walk is ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online