Home » Community (page 262)

Community

Minarets Drama Students Attend Workshop in Big Apple

By Johanna Ziegler, student journalists for Minarets Press NEW YORK CITY — The Big Apple’s famous skyline welcomed four Minarets students and drama teacher Kayla West in the early morning hours on Feb. 14, 2020. The trip to New York City was the first of its kind for the Minarets Drama program. Seniors Maddie Wristen, Lindsay Martin, Emma Lynch, and ...

Read More »

SNF Offers Seedling Program to Mountain Residents

NORTH FORK – The Bass Lake Ranger District is set to begin its 2020 reforestation program. During the next two months, contract and Forest Service crews will be planting approximately 700 acres focusing on the areas of the 2014 French Fire. Approximately 200 to 320 seedlings per acre will be planted, totaling up to 175,000 seedlings on the district during ...

Read More »

Minarets Senior Hosts Robotics Clinic

By Autumn Pecarovich, student journalist for Minarets Press OAKHURST — To foster a love for robotics in a new generation, Mikey King hosted a robotics clinic for third through eighth graders at the Boys and Girls Club of Oakhurst. The clinic was held on Feb. 18 and 19 and there were over 20 attendees from Wasuma Elementary, Oakhurst Elementary and ...

Read More »

History Mystery #84: North Fork Lumber Mill Teepee Burner

Picture of a North Fork Lumber Mill teepee burner

By Don Grove This is a photograph of the teepee burner at the North Fork lumber mill. Sawdust and scraps of wood from the milling process were burned in the teepee burner. In the June 1951 newsletter of the Associated Lumber & Box Company sawmill — The American Eagle — the teepee burner and mill pond were operational. On what ...

Read More »

Workshop to Spotlight Prescribed Burns on Private Lands

MARIPOSA — Do you have dead, dying or excess vegetation on your property? Would you like to protect your property from catastrophic wildfire? UCCE Mariposa is hosting a ‘Prescribed Fire on Private Lands’ workshop on March 19 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The workshop will be held at McCay Hall in Catheys Valley. Utilized properly, prescribed fire can be ...

Read More »

Celebration of Life for Helen Ann Schuessler

Picture of Helen Ann Schuessler

Helen Ann Schuessler, born October 16, 1942, a longtime resident of Oakhurst, passed away on January 12, 2020, in Redlands, California. She had survived many years of heart issues. Ann had recently moved to Redlands to be with her longtime schoolmate Donna and her family. She was preceded in death by her husband Ronald and survived by her brother Charles, ...

Read More »

Pet of the Week: Lola the Lover Dog

Picture of Lola the Lover Dog

Hello, I’m Lola the Lover Dog! I have sadly lost the love of my life, my human dad. Now I need a new human to love. As a senior girl, I don’t ask for a lot….just a place in your heart! Please call 559-683-1266 to make a date with me!

Read More »

Celebration of Life for Christina Lynn Stulce Smith

Picture of Christina Lynn Stulce Smith

Christina Lynn Stulce Smith was born April 17, 1968, in Walnut Creek, California. Christina passed away February 7, 2020, in Fresno. Christina Lived in Oakley, Brentwood, Antioch, Coarsegold and Oakhurst. She attended Edna Hill School and Liberty Union High School. Christina is survived by her husband Lonnie Smith, parents Roger and Joan Stulce, brothers Roger Stulce Jr., Jonathan Stulce, and ...

Read More »

Report: Madera Among Fastest-Growing Counties in Western U.S.

MADERA COUNTY — According to the latest government data, Madera County is outpacing other similar-sized counties, both in California and around the western U.S., in terms of economic growth. Recently published United States Bureau of Economic Analysis records show that for 2018, the latest year for which statistics have been compiled, Madera County saw the fastest growth in real GDP ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online