Breaking News
Home » Community (page 2)

Community

Fresno State Contributes Millions in Economic Impact

Image of the CSU Fresno Bulldog mascot.

FRESNO — Salvador Solorio-Ruiz grew up in Delano, a small Central Valley town where 22% of residents live in poverty, according to the U.S. Census. The son of immigrants, however, was bound for something different when he became the first in his family to graduate from college — Fresno State. He returned to his hometown, started working and also ran for ...

Read More »

Seedling’s Offered for Private Property

Sierra National Forest offers progressive seedling program to area residents NORTH FORK, CA. – The Bass Lake Ranger District is set to begin its 2021 reforestation program. During the next six weeks, contract and Forest Service crews will be planting approximately 620 acres focusing on the areas of the 2020 Creek Fire. Approximately 200 to 260 seedlings per acre will ...

Read More »

Over the Garden Fence: Multiple Raised Bed Options

Image of a raised bed garden.

By Bob Labozetta, UC Master Gardener, Mariposa Raised garden beds generally yield more produce than traditional gardens. What’s more, the tools needed to build and maintain raised beds can be limited to a garden fork, a rake, a shovel, and a hand trowel. The goal is to create a bed of loose, fertile soil that you never step on. The ...

Read More »

How Art Shapes Our Lives: Public Art

Image of the Tenaya Lodge Bar.

By Sal Maccarone Art that is found residing in public places such as lobbies, civic centers, plazas, airports and museums, enhance the world that we live in. Not an art form in itself, public art can be abstract, or realistic, site-specific, or stand in contrast to the environment around it. It enhances the environment, and at the same time heightens ...

Read More »

Get the Latest News from the Fresno Art Museum!

Image of Fletcher Benton sculpture.

The week of March 15, 2021, marked the Fresno Art Museum (FAM) being closed due to COVID-19 for one whole year (except for a few weeks in October 2020). Thanks to all of you who care about the Museum, they are as vital as ever, and are ready to seamlessly reopen and sooner rather than later! Although Fresno County has ...

Read More »

Pet of the Week: Helga the Cat

Image of Helga the Cat.

Hello there, Helga here… Just waiting to be part of your family. I am a purrrfect kitty! I like other cats and I have been in my foster home with Pearl, the lucky German Shepherd who got to go to a wonderful  rescue place. I have been spayed, and everyone says I am beautiful! All I need is a family to make my life complete. Call the EMCSPCA at 559-683-1266 to meet me.

Read More »

Create Your Defensible Space

CAL FIRE reminds us to “Create Your Defensible Space” as fire season approaches.  Madera-Mariposa-Merced- Recent rains were a welcome sight to drought parched California, but the Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) firefighters are not letting their guard down. CAL FIRE’s Defensible Space Inspectors (DSI) will be conducting inspections within the State Responsibility Area (SRA) and enforcing the ...

Read More »

History Mystery #97

Image of an old sign in the woods.

History Mystery #97, Chinchilla Ranches and Mystery Signs in the Madera County Mountain Communities Prepared by Andy Brooks, Raymond Museum volunteer The Chinchilla ranch industry, though short lived by most history standards, had a favorable economic impact on the Madera County mountain area communities. How many ranches were there? What other businesses were created from the Chinchilla ranch industry? Who ...

Read More »

Community Town Hall Meeting

District 5 Supervisor Tom Wheeler Will be Holding Another Town Hall Meeting Thursday, April 1st. 2021. NORTH FORK – Supervisor Wheeler’s office has received a number of questions from individuals about Madera Counties transition from purple tier to red tier. Director of Public Health, Sara Bosse, will be the first speaker at tomorrow’s town hall meeting. She will be available ...

Read More »

Visit Yosemite Madera County

The Visitors Center in Oakhurst, Visit Yosemite Madera County, is looking for energetic volunteers.  OAKHURST – The Visitors Center is looking for energetic volunteers to join our Front Desk team! It is a great way to learn more about the area, share what you know and meet new people while providing valuable information to the visitors and locals that come ...

Read More »
Sierra News Online

Sierra News Online