MADERA – The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (Cal Fire) Madera-Mariposa-Merced Unit (MMU) has announced that effective 8 am. on Monday, May 13, hazard reduction burning in Eastern Madera County is restricted below 1,000 feet in elevation.
Hazard reduction burning above 1,000 feet is allowed on permissive burn days with a valid permit from San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District.
Burn permits may be obtained at your nearest Cal Fire or Madera County Fire Station:
- Cal Fire Ahwahnee, 43033 Highway 49 South, Ahwahnee
- Cal Fire Raymond, 34951 Road 606, Raymond
- Cal Fire Rancheria, 53488 Road 200, North Fork
- Cal Fire Bass Lake, 38333 Teaford Saddle Road, Oakhurst
- Madera County Station 12, 48355 Liberty Drive, Oakhurst
- Madera County Station 8, 47050 Road 417, Coarsegold
The following guidelines are required when conducting a hazard reduction burn:
- Property owners conducting hazard reduction burning are responsible for checking the burn day status by calling the Air Pollution Control District (number listed on burn permit) prior to igniting their hazard reduction pile.
- Madera County Burn Information Line: 1-877-429-2876.
- Do not burn material that is wet or damp, as this can cause excessive smoke Excessive smoke is prohibited and will result in penalties.
- Provide adequate clearance (minimum of within 10 feet of the outer edge of the pile) around the burn pile to avoid its escape.
- Keep a water supply close to the burning site.
- An adult must be in attendance until the fire is extinguished.
- Do not burn on windy days.
- Do not use any flammable liquid (such as gasoline or diesel fuel) to ignite a fire.
- Make sure the burn pile is free of prohibited materials: No household trash, garbage or construction materials.
- Burn only natural vegetation removed while maintaining a defensible space.
Hazard reduction burning is permitted only when meteorological conditions are good for smoke dispersal. In addition, Cal Fire MMU may impose fire restrictions and prohibit open burning due to elevated risks of fire danger.
Creating a nuisance can result in a violation subject to penalties. Please burn with caution.
Burning anything in a burn barrel is illegal.